Sunday, September 11, 2016

MTG: Some cards from Eldritch Moon and a new Deck Idea

Lately I've been cooking up this deck using mostly cards from the latest two sets, Eldritch Moon and Shadows over Innistrad.  I'm really into this idea, more so than I have been for a while.  Unfortunately, the magic world moves so fast that it's almost time for the next set to rotate in, so I'm already feeling a bit dated.  Additionally, I don't actually have anyone to play Standard decks against, so my playtesting is limited.  But I guess I just like making decks, so I'm going to describe my idea to you:  


"Horse and rider are often of one mind..."
"..But until this morning, I never saw them be of one body"


Lone Rider/It that Rides as One
This card has a really sweet design.  He looks like a transporter accident.  He's also really powerful if you can get him to flip.  This guy was my inspiration for this deck, along with Neglected Heirloom.  From there, the synergies seem to come naturally, and now I'm just trying to balance it right. 

Neglected Heirloom
this card can be quite powerful, assuming you can make it switch.  Ideally, this will switch with a lone rider at the end of turn 3, which will make it really f-ing powerful.  7/7 first strike, trample, lifelink, to be specific. 

Alms of the Vein
This card is generally considered pretty bad, not good enough to justify it's place over some other card.  However, it does what I need it to do, which is gain 3 life, which will flip the Lone Rider.  This can happen on turn 3, right after the rider comes out.

Grotesque Mutation
This also can work to flip the Lone Rider.  It will gain you 3 life, and can protect the creature with a little bit of toughness.  I may just switch out the Alms for Mutation.  I do like that Alms has a madness cost, though I'm not sure that's a good enough reason.
The flavor on this card is better too, since the Lone rider actually does go through a mutation

Heir of Falkenrath
This card is really easy to transform, and its low mana cost means that it can flip the neglected heirloom quickly and consistently.  Discard effects sort of force madness cards into the deck, but there are a few good ones that synergize (alms, nearheath, murderous compulsion).  

Nearheath Chaplain
This card has 3 power and lifelink, which could easily trigger the flip for lone rider.  It also has the ability to exile from the graveyard and put two 1/1 flying spirits into play.  This is good for hte late game, because I can attach leftover equipment to them, which gives them a reasonable amount of power.  For this reason also, Nearheath Chaplain makes a good discard choice for Heir of Falkenrath.  

etc
I'm still looking for an appropriate topper.  Considering Abundant Maw, which I can get out early by sacrificing a Twins of Maurer Estate, but that's not really a finisher, it's more of a quick-kill style that needs very specific circumstances to work. Also want to include Olivia's Dragoon, for repeatable discards, Slayers Plate is another good equipment, and Sigarda's Aid helps get that equipment out.   

Well, it was fun to talk about my deck ideas, and I realize how very very much detail there is when talking about Magic.  It pretty much forces the game to have an 'insider' quality. Unfortunately, I don't see any way around that.

-D


No comments:

Post a Comment