Monday, November 7, 2016

Bugging Out With Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS)


Through an odd any pretty annoying turn of events completely out of my own control, I have just recently started my third game on the 2012 3DS game, Resident Evil: Revelations.  Mind you, this has been through no fault of my own in regards to playing ability, but apparently a bug that I have encountered twice on two separate files.

So the bug, because that is the only thing that I can think to call the occurrence causes the playable character Jill Valentine's handgun to inexplicably go missing.  As in one second the gun is there, the next, the gun is gone.  No explanation as to where the gun went or just the fact that it is gone.  Even the character animation returns to model of not having a gun.  It is not as if she is aiming with open palms.  Simply the game does not recognize that the gun is there.

At first I thought that this was a simple glitch, that the game I was playing wigged out for a brief second and for whatever reason did not seem to recognize that the gun was supposed to be in my inventory.  So I exited out of the file, back to the main menu and restarted from my last save, which was at the beginning of the chapter.  Surprisingly, or perhaps not, the handgun was still missing when I returned.  I then decided upon Roy's calculated response and powered down my 3DS completely, then restarted the game.  Same thing.  Aside from the two grenades and combat knife, Jill was unarmed, gun-wise.  By this point I was pretty irritated, having gone three hours into the game and figuring that the only way out was to restart from the beginning on a new file, which is what I did.  Having already gone through this portion of the game, I was able to cut my time in half and reached the second half of the second chapter of the game in just over an hour-and-a-half, where story-wise you actually do have all your gear taken away, but then shortly after getting my gun back, it went missing all over again.  This time, I did notice that the gun went missing either shortly after or right after I tried picking up some ammunition while my handgun ammunition inventory was full.  In my defense, it was a previously un-hidden item and I could not tell what the item was until after I tried picking it up; for all I knew it could have been a green herb.  

Another thought briefly occurred to me, which was this affect of the gun going missing during the same part in the game sounded a lot like an intentional glitch put in by the developers to happen to a game that was pirated.  Over the last year, I have read a number of articles where developers have inserted near-game breaking effects to occur when people pirate their games.  What felt wrong about this hypothesis was that I purchased my copy from Amazon (as in shipped by Amazon through Amazon and not an independent seller shipping through Amazon) back in 2013, so I know for a 99.47% fact that my game is a legitimate copy.

The last thing I tried was to delete my first game file (since the game only allows two files), copied the second attempt (which still had the gun missing), and opened that game to see if maybe the copying process would kick-start the game to realize that something that should not have happen happened, but no, Jill was still missing her sidearm.  The other annoying aspect of this bug, is that when you go to the item box, which from what I can tell functions similar to the item boxes in the rest of the series, the handgun is there and open to in-game modding, but upon exiting, the gun goes back to no longer being in Jill's inventory.  (To note, this modding screen for the gun, can remove the gun from your inventory, but also simply allows you to add modifications to the gun.  Just in case any of you readers thought I might have placed the gun in the item box and forgotten to put it back).

As is the case with any glitch/bug, my pondering took me to the vast resource of the Intertubes, which surprisingly turned up nothing.  Apparently Resident Evil: Revelations on the Nintendo 3DS has either never glitched out on anyone ever, or Jill's handgun has never gone inexplicably missing.  One of the issues with looking up this particular bug could be related to the fact that Jill (and Parker) actually start off the stage without any of their equipment, so it is normal to play the first portion of the stage without a gun, forcing Jill to have to dodge out of the way of each of the Oozes that lunge at and try so suck on Jill's apparently very inviting neck region.  Plus there is the aptly titled Resident Evil: Revelations 2, but even with the "3DS" stuck in there, results for this second game will come filtering back.  The only thing that I was able to unofficially conclude was that there is a specific issue with my specific game cartridge.  

At the end of my rope, I decided that I would hope against hope and contact Capcom with particular issue.  At best, they would replace my physical copy or offer a download code for one from the eShop.  At worst, they would tell me the gun is supposed to be missing at the beginning of that stage and not fully understand what it was that I was trying to tell them.  And now for your consideration, I present to you my communication with a representative of Capcom:

I believe that I have encountered a bug in my copy of "Resident Evil: Revelations" on the 3DS.  To note, I purchased my copy directly from Amazon on May 16th, 2013.

In two separate attempts at playing, both times the bug occurred in Episode 2, Scenario 2.  After Jill meets up with Parker and they acquire their weapons, I have found that the gun disappears from Jill's inventory and is no longer accessible. When I go back to the item box (where you can mod weapons), the weapon is visible and I can remove the one mod that you have at that point, but upon leaving the item box screen, the gun is still not in her inventory.  This has now happened on two separate files (and at two different times; the first was right before entering the bridge and the second was after leaving the room where Jill and Parker get their weapons back) and since the game auto saves, I am unable to restart from a previous save where the gun is in Jill's inventory and is accessible.  The scanner however still comes up, but when I try to switch back to the handgun, the animation and character model act as if she is unarmed.

I have tried looking up this particular issue on other online resources but I am unable to find anything about Jill's gun disappearing from her inventory from the 3DS version of the game.

I am personally at a loss as to what to do, both in the game and with my copy of the game that appears to have a bug of sorts.  I presume that I could just dodge all the enemies until I come across another weapon, but since it seems that this is not supposed to happen, I feel that I am at a frustrating disadvantage.

Surprisingly and to Capcom's credit, I received an actual reply by a real life person less than 24 hours after sending in my complaint/comment/feedback.

Thanks for contacting Capcom Customer Support. We're sorry to hear about your issue with Resident Evil Revelations for Nintendo 3DS. Are you able to progress without Jill's gun? There is a chance that continuing on may allow the gun to reappear. If you are unable to progress further, your best bet would be to restart your progress in the game. We recognize that this isn't the most ideal solution, but as an added precaution you can disable auto-saving in the game by via the options menu. That way, you can save at the end of every chapter in case you encounter the issue again in Episode 2, Scenario 2. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Best Regards,

CAPCOM Customer Support


So kudos to Capcom for the quick response, but kudos taken back for their solution basically being, "Sorry the game broke on ya.  Try not auto-saving and see where that gets you.  Sorry."  And that is where I am right now.  I just restarted, for the second time, on my third attempt.  I have turned off the auto save feature and per Capcom Customer Service Support's suggestion, I will restart from the beginning of the chapter if Jill's gun happens to go missing.  I will also be making a conscious effort to not pick up (or check apparently?) items if my handgun inventory is already full.  And since I have been unable to make it past Scenario 2, Episode 2, I do not know if the missing handgun bug extends to the rest of the game, or is simply a bug that only happens during this one part in the game.  

I will keep you all updated.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

P.S.  If it already is not obvious, aside from some of the dialogue (both spoken and written) in the game being somewhat corny and/or badly delivered, which is something that I almost come to expect from a Resident Evil game, I am enjoying the game.  I like the multiple perspectives present in the game.  It makes the story being told a lot bigger than a single character in one location.

No comments:

Post a Comment