Wednesday, September 16, 2015

MIDI Week Singles: "Prologue Movie" - Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX)


"Prologue Movie" from Final Fantasy Tactics on the Playstation (1998)
Composer: Hitoshi Sakimoto
Record Label: DigiCube SSCX-10008 & Square Enix SQEX-10066~7
Album: Final Fantasy Tactics Original Sound Track
Game Developer: Square


I like this song.  I also like the opening movies that the song is associated with, both the original Playstation game and the remake-retitled Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions on the PSP.  The music is the same in both versions, as in the same music file was used, at least that is what my uncultured ears tell me.

Something I like about this song is that it introduces at least four themes during an introductory movie that does not tell you much of anything about the story or the characters.

First there is the theme played by bagpipes that I am pretty sure is "Backborn Story" and is only used during the beginning of the game, although I could very well be mistaken. Secondly, there is "Alma's Theme," which is speckled throughout other songs as well, but here is introduced in a somewhat more fanfaric manner than how the song is usually presented.  Thirdly, there's the "Hero's Theme," being Ramza, although who the hero is in this game is very dependent on whose perspective you take.  The song picks up with a theme that I could only locate in the end of "Battle's End," which is played after you win a battle.  This last theme might be hinted at in other songs, although I was unable to find it after listening to the soundtrack (specifically listening for this one theme through 75% of the soundtrack anyway).

Now I feel that I want to go back and play this game again (all 120 hours of it).  And I feel that that is what good music should do, be it from video games, movies, operas, musicals.  It's all good.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian
Inside Plays A Lullabye

1 comment:

  1. I really like how slowly the introduction unfurls, but it really gets down to business with an exciting and aggressive theme by the end

    ReplyDelete