Monday, September 7, 2015

Monthly Update: September

A little late in coming, I understand, my apologies.  Here are some things I've been up to lately:

Welcome to Night Vale.  I mentioned this earlier, and I am mentioning it again because I enjoy it so much.  I've finished year 1, and the current running year is year 4, so I have a lot to go.  I think I will give them some money soon, because I really am enjoying this podcast.  They have such an easy time being strange, I just love it. 

Jane and I played through Portal recently.  I still really love that game, and it's so nice that it's not terribly long.  However, my one complaint on this time through was the second to last test chamber.  It includes a room where you have to use your falling momentum to launch yourself from platform to platform to platform, covering quite a bit of vertical distance.  If you miss one of the tiny platforms, you fall into poisonous slime and have to start all over.  It is frustrating and really not fun.   Just a nit pick; I still love this game.  I have yet to complete it, but I am really happy to show Jane the final level. 

I had a chance to play a couple rounds of Exploding Kittens last Monday at a local 'board games at a bar' event.  The game features artwork by the Oatmeal, and gleans some of its value from the jokes on each card.  It's a quick-format game.  We had five players and the games took like fifteen minutes or less.  I didn't get a strong sense of the mechanics of the game, but they seem really simple.  Action cards, responses, don't get the exploding kitten!  It was like a highly simplified version of Munchkin, maybe. Highly. Simplified.

Ultimately, I wasn't impressed.  It was pretty well forgettable.  But the game has already had incredible success on kickstarter.  The way I justify this to myself is by saying that purchasing this card game is like saying 'thank you' to the oatmeal for all the laughs that have thus far been delivered for free.

On the TV front, I watched the first Season of Rick and Morty, which is a filthy humor sci fi cartoon show.  Once I got used to it, I came to really enjoy Rick and Morty.  In parallel, I've been watching Adventure Time, which is much more of a kids show, but with plenty of adult-oriented inside jokes.  Adventure Time is a great show with a generally positive vibe, that I find fills the 'feel good' watching niche quite well.  I also started watching Fringe, and I've gotten into a good rhythm with that show.  I really enjoy the actors, particularly John Noble as Dr. Walter Bishop.  There's just something about his fragile and enthusiastic genius character that I appreciate.  

Finally, I also want to mention that the other day I went to roller skating rink for a friends birthday.  I had only been to one once before, at the more appropriate age of 10 or so.  I'm happy to report, that once I got over the awkwardness of it all, I found roller skating to be very enjoyable.  It was like skiing on flat ground, relaxing, but also exciting.  If I had been able to last, I could go around and around the rink for hours.  I had a great time.  Then, coincidentally, I came home and watched an episode of Parks and Rec where Ben has a party at a roller rink.  Fun coincidence. 

-D

Video Games?  What are those?


No comments:

Post a Comment