Wednesday, March 16, 2016

MIDI Week Single: "Hot Top Volcano" - Diddy Kong Racing (N64)


"Hot Top Volcano" from Diddy Kong Racing on the Nintendo 64 (1997)
Composer: David Wise
Developer: Rare


I landed on "Hot Top Volcano" while looking through the N64 games I have here, although Diddy Kong Racing actually belongs to The Kid, I just packed up all the SNES and N64 games when I moved up to the Pacific North West.  I realized that we hadn't done a song from this quirky racing game and "Hot Top Volcano" was the first song that popped into my mind.  This was also the song that made me first think, "Hey, this is pretty good music.  I should look into getting the soundtrack.  Wasn't it advertised in Nintendo Power a few months back?"  Then it was too late and the CD was no longer available.

I don't know if the tribal-esque singing is supposed to mean anything aside from sounding tribal-esque and I don't recall Nintendo/Rare getting similar flack for what happened with Ocarina of Time's Fire Temple music, which apparently never happened in the first place.

So all of that aside, I hope you enjoy this bit from a fun 19 year old racing game that I have, and probably will never beat because Wiz Pig's a jerk-wagon.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

1 comment:

  1. Oh my god, this song is so catchy! For me, Diddy Kong racing is an oft forgotten game, but always enjoyed! The last time I remember playing this game was at your parents house like... I don't know, maybe ten years ago? I believe the Kid was there, and she was telling me about how Books being better than the movie is a bullshit standard and often not true.
    We pulled up in front of the N64 and played Diddy Kong racing and Conker's Bad Fur Day. That was the last great memory I have of the n64.
    Diddy Kong racing was ahead of its time. I definitely think Mario Kart 8 takes nods from level design originally found in this game. Though, it does it without planes and boats or quite as much exploration. Great game, I wish I was playing it now instead of getting ready for work.

    ReplyDelete