Wednesday, March 30, 2016

MIDI Week Singles - 'Save/Continue/Retry" - The Legend of Zelda (NES)


"Save/Continue/Retry" from The Legend of Zelda on the NES (1985)
Composer:  Koji Kondo  (cover by xoNoodles)
Developer: Nintendo



Here is a nice little remix of the Legend of Zelda retry screen.  This song entered my head unbidden today, and hummed peacefully in the back of my mind as I went about my business.  I decided that I would write up a little Midi Week Single for it when I got home.  

However, to my consternation, the original track wasn't nearly as peaceful as the one in my head.  This is due to the abrasive tones coming from the NES soundchip.  Listening to the original version of this track brings back the sense of disappointment which comes from dying in the Legend of Zelda. So often it happens suddenly, after you've made progress in a dungeon and can't bear to do it all over again.  Rather than a peaceful lullaby, the abrasive sounds grind in my eardrums, telling me that I must start the game over if I want them to stop.  

No, thank you.  This peaceful music-box style cover is how I would prefer to remember this track.  I could stand to have it repeat a couple more times, and maybe have the volume up a little on some of the softer hits, but this is definitely the best cover of save/continue/retry I could find.  Enjoy.

-D




No comments:

Post a Comment