Monday, April 10, 2017

Monthly Update - April

Here are some miscellaneous details regarding the last month or so.  My writing brain won't let me phrase that in a better way. 

Jane and I finished up watching Buffy: the Vampire Slayer on Hulu.  Seven long seasons; that's a lot of time to invest in a set of characters.  This is the longest show I've ever watched on a streaming service from beginning to end.  It's also one of the best shows I've ever seen.  Certainly one of the best shows of its time (mid 90s- early 2000s).  This is entirely due to the writing and the character development.  Like any 22 episode season style show, it can be pretty uneven.  There are straight up bad episodes, but there are amazing, fantastic episodes, and there are always great moments along the way.  

All this is to say that I didn't much care for the conclusion of the series.  It had its moments, but it lost me when a particular character died.  The ol'  Joss Whedon's gotta kill someone to make sure the stakes are appropriately high trick.  While I can accept this sometimes, I am not happy with it in this instance.  Oh well.  May still read the 'Buffy, Season 8' comics.   Or I might just take a break from the whole thing.  For the record, Anya is my favorite character because she is hilarious.  

My current main hobby is playing Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild on Wii-U.  Breath of the Wild is a lot of fun.  Super-absorbing gameplay.  Jane watches me play and gives me suggestions to help solve puzzles.  She gets pretty absorbed too, often saying 'I'll just watch for a few minutes' and then hanging out for an hour.   It's just that kind of game.   And I love it when my lady participates in gaming with me.  That being said, it will be good when I can look at other things again.  Like the whole bushel of games Jaconian gifted me with, when I saw him early last month.  

I now I have copies of Bushido Blade, Final Fantasy XII, Super Mario 3D world and more!  Jane and I tried out Super Mario 3D world, and found it to be a nice little fun game.  It has kind of a 'party game' vibe, because it is co-op on the same screen, so you are paying attention to what you're doing and what you're partner is up to, and what the level demands.  There are mini-games, and a playable world map, and cat suits and other fun powerups.  It's a nice game to have in the library.

While he was visiting, Jaconian and I watched Logan, which was a great movie, full of bloody action, and a cool take on Professor X and Logan's characters.  Possibly the best X-men franchise movie.  Jane and I also watched 'Get Out' recently, which was also great.
  
I've found I'm much more interested in the horror genre of late, though I am also identifying and developing my taste.  I really like intrigue in my horror, some kind of mystery to solve, something to figure out.  I also like ghosts, I love the 'unfinished business' trope of ghost-haunting stuff.  All in all, I might just prefer 'scary' or 'spooky' to 'horror', per se.  Being horrified is not necessarily the point, when I enter into this sort of movie; I don't really like much gore.  That being said, I did really enjoy seeing Logan tear people to ribbons in all its glorious slicing.  

Okay, given that I am typing this at work, now it's time for me to tear my task-list apart, like Logan or X23, in a berserker rage of productivity.  yeah... sweet... 

-D

No comments:

Post a Comment