Thursday, June 14, 2018

MIDI Week Singles: "Stage Theme" - The 3-D Battles of World Runner (NES)


"Stage Theme" from The 3-D Battles of World Runner on the Nintendo Entertainment System (1987)
Composer: Nobuo Uematsu
Album: No Official Release
Developer: Square




This song came up while doing my #AllTheNESMusic listening (which you can follow over on the Twitteringverse).  So welcome to the world of semi-obscure NES games that I have only seen in one place.  And that place was primarily my neighbor DellaƱos' parent's house across the street from where I grew up.  I did borrow The 3-D Battles of World Runner a number of times and I am pretty sure that I was never able to make it past the first level, which consists of running forward on a semi-3D plane dodging enemies and jumping over pits.

And then there is the stage theme, which apparently does not change when you make it to Stage 2, or Stage 3, or the next.  It is the same 45 seconds of music for however long it takes you to get to the boss of each stage, and then it is back to the Stage Theme.  And before writing this article, I was unaware that Square developed this game, and that Final Fantasy composer Nobuo Uematsu had composed the music; which really helps to explain why the song is so damn catchy.  YouTube reviewer ThruN00b even came up with lyrics which actually do a decent job of describing the game while making sense of the game's insanity for the most part.

Maybe I will follow up with DellaƱos so he can jump in (eh!?) with what experiences with The 3-D Battles of World Runner?  Ideas.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment