Thursday, April 28, 2016

MTG: where am I now?

I think it's safe to say that Magic: The Gathering has eaten my brain.  I play it online, I play it in person.  I spend gobs of money on it.  Somewhere in the neighborhood of $50 a month, I think.   I may have a problem.

But, honestly, it's not the money that bothers me.  It's the time.  Being this heavily invested in one thing, leaves me neglecting other things in my life.  Perhaps it's something akin to Christmas Present Syndrome, as outlined by Jaconian.  I feel as though I'm neglecting my other forms of entertainment.  And nowhere is that more clear to me than in this blog.  I haven't posted much, in part because I'm just not making the time, and also in part because I don't have much to say!  It's all Magic, all the time.  It consumes my thoughts.  

On one hand, I suppose it's better to post about Magic than to post about nothing at all.  So, here I am at work, writing out my thoughts out on the sly (which, incidentally, is much more difficult to do than it used to be).  I've got a few Magic-related topics I'd like to cover:  Shadows Over Innistrad, the latest set;  Modern Constructed format, which has just been abandoned by Wizards of the Coast and Cube Construction, I've just completed my first MTG cube.  

I've really been enjoying Shadows over Innistrad.  This is the first set I really felt 'ready' for.  Out the gate, I participated in a pre-release at my local game store.  Then I split a box with two of my friends, and have purchased several packs of cards since.  I've also participated in three online sealed leagues, which have been the best value and fun I've gotten from Magic Online.  While this is all well and good for me and my ability to entertain myself, it's especially good for Wizards of the Coast, who are lining their pockets with my money.

Having invested myself so greatly into this product, I've started to feel the sense that I am entitled to be heard by the company.  I realize this is just a fantasy, and it's probably a lot of trouble to get a line out to wizards, so I'll just put my thoughts down here.  Now that Wizards has pulled the plug on Modern format in the pro tour, I would like to suggest a new format, aimed at people who enjoy buying packs and are generally casual players (which, among magic players, is still often pretty committed.)  I will get into the details of this idea in another post, but the short version is it involves restriction of rare and uncommon cards in a given deck.  

Finally, I want to talk about my cube.  I built this cube using cubetutor.com, a fantastic tool for cube construction.  The cube is currently in its first draft, and I have lot of fun building it.  I, personally, think of cube as the best and final form of Magic: The Gathering, and this is where I think it will all end up, for me.  Constructing this cube was great fun, and I anticipate another cube in my future, along with many waves of refinement; getting it just right.  Please head over to cubetutor.com and do a test draft for me,  I'd love that.

Okay, so, this is a big update for me, after a lot of silence.  Sorry about that.  I will endeavor to increase the frequency of my updates.
-D

No comments:

Post a Comment