Wednesday, December 21, 2016

MIDI Week Singles: "Battle With Magus" - Chrono Trigger (SNES)


"Battle With Magus" from Chrono Trigger on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (1995)
Composer: Yasunori Mitsuda
Developer: SquareSoft 


When I was thinking about which song to pull up for the second to last MIDI Week Single of the year, I was a little unsure.  I put on my "Video Game Soundtrack" playlist on iTunes to get some ideas, but nothing was popping up, so I went back to playing Chrono Trigger on my 3DS (the 2008 DS port) and I entered the next area storywise: Magus' Castle.  Long story ever-so-slightly shorter, when the battle with Magus started, I quickly realized that the dialogue was playing like a quicktime event because the music lined up with Magus unfurling his cloak and starting the battle.  That moment gave me chills.

Ever since I played Chrono Trigger back in 1996 (or thereabouts), this was one of my favorite songs from the game (next to Frog's Theme, Chrono's Theme, Schala's Theme, Lavos' Theme, The Last Battle. . .guess I should do a Game Score's article now).  Back in high school, one of my friends arranged this for two trumpets, penny whistle, french horn and timpani and while we did have a few practices, we never performed the piece.  The point is, this works both as a great battle theme as well as Magus' (un?)official theme (the soundtrack does not have a "Magus' Theme" track, hence the 'unofficial-ness').

As with all/most of the songs that we post here, I love this song and felt like sharing it with the rest of the world who may have not heard it during its first debut 21 years ago (damn).



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment