Friday, January 6, 2017

Previously on Braindead (TV series)


Over Christmas Break, Jane and I went to visit my Mom in the great state of Oregon.  When we visit my mom, we usually end up watching a lot of TV, and this time, Mom was raving about a show called 'BrainDead.'  She'd mentioned it over email, and I have to admit that it didn't sound very interesting.  Idunno, the title just didn't grab me, and the setting of Washington DC during the recent election campaign really turned me off.  In fact, the reports are that this was the thing that ultimately killed the show-- election burnout.  

It's too bad, because the show is actually fantastic, and has little to nothing to do with the recent election.  Mary Elizabeth Winestead is a great leading lady, I really enjoyed her in 34 Cloverfield Lane, and I would be down to watch her in anything else.  Tony Shaloub also gives an amazing performance, vastly different from his long runs as Monk or his role in Wings.  Additionally, the entire supporting cast is fantastic, and there are several walk-on characters that light up the episodes they appear in.  The show is generally very funny, but the arc is also gripping. 

Alright, I'll finish up with a brief plot summary and a hearty endorsement.  Which includes mild spoilers, but I won't reveal anything past the first episode.   The story is basically a Washington Dramedy combined with Invasion of the Body Snatchers.  Space bugs get into people's brains and change their behavior, which creates chaos in Congress.  Given that sci fi is a really big genre these days, I haven't really seen the Invasion of the Body Snatchers trope used too much.  I really like it.  It works for a great unfolding plot over the series 13 episodes.  

Jane and I have watched through episode 11, so we don't know if the show wraps itself up at the end.  If it doesn't, I really hope another network picks the show up for a second season.  Not since Galavant's cancellation after 2 seasons, have a wanted an 'act of congress' to renew a TV show.  I highly recommend season 1 of Braindead.

#MoreGalavant #MoreBraindead   

-D









 
P.S.  I would be remiss if I didn't mention the delightful song stylings of Jonathan Coulton for the backwraps/theme song of the show.  You should definitely watch through the beginning of episode 2 in your first viewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment