Wednesday, October 6, 2021

MIDI Week Singles: "Main Theme" - Mario Paint (SNES)


"Main Theme" from Mario Paint on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (1992)
Composer: Hirokazu Tanaka, Ryoji Yoshitomi, & Kazumi Totaka
Album: No Official Release
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: Nintendo R&D1, Intelligent Systems

 


I played Mario Paint a lot.  Like, a lot, a lot.  I do not know if I could say that I "was good at Mario Paint," and I certainly was not good at making anything that looked amazing or could qualify as groundbreaking or original.  Well, except for the music editor, which I used to write some original songs that have long ceased to exist.  Most of my time was spent just messing around making stamps, using the coloring book section to paint Yoshi various shades of pink and orange, or again, to make either original songs, or to try and create approximations of existing music to be my own Mario Paint arrangements.

In the game, one of the fun things to do was to mess around with the title screen.  When you clicked on each of the letters in the title, something different would happen visually and would either add to or alter the main theme you hear.  I considered featuring the slowed-down version that happens when you click the T which allows you to draw rainbow checker dot colored lines on the screen or one of the Is which either invert the song or make it wobbly sounding (for lack of a better description).  I decided to use the primary theme because it seemed to make the most sense rather than a song that altered the original.

To me, and maybe because this is memory and nostalgia talking here, but this song comes across as a very Mario-esque song that could have fit in with Super Mario World but is so different from anything written for Super Mario World that it just sticks out on its own.  Just a chill song that brings back a lot of memories from nearly 30 years ago.  Damn.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
Instrumental

No comments:

Post a Comment