Wednesday, September 21, 2022

MIDI Week Singles: "The Altar of Reincarnation" - Deep Labyrinth (NDS)

 

"The Altar of Reincarnation" from Deep Labyrinth on the Nintendo DS (2004)
Label: Interactive Brains
Publisher: Interactive Brains, Atlus, 505 Games
Developer: Interactive Brains

I know nothing about Deep Labyrinth that was not covered in the Wikipedia article as I had not heard about this game in any form before coming across the music.  So when the Internet via YouTube tells me that this song is called "Altar of Reincarnation," I have no context for what emotions this song is trying to convey with its beautiful piano solo-ness.  It was really the first 11 seconds that captured me, just something about how the melody resolves is something that I love to do the times that I have infrequently composed music.  

There are more exciting, complicated, and deeper-sounding pieces from this soundtrack, but sometimes I just need to hear a beautiful song on a solo piano.  And who better to bring that emotion than Yasunori Mitsuda (Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, the Xenogears and Xenoblade series) in all of its simplicity?  I could easily listen to this song on repeat, and I have a few times just while writing today's article.  While there may not be a lot of influences from the Chrono series in this particular song, there are times when the rest of the soundtrack sounds a lot like mid-90s Yasunori Mitsuda.

Great song, great album, except that this song does not appear on the one album I could find for Deep Labyrinth, which looks to be just a short sound collection, with only 6 of the 19 tracks.  So while there is an official soundtrack, it does not appear to have "Altar of Reincarnation" so I cannot say for certain that this is the official title of the song (but that is what the Internet tells me, so we'll go with that).


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
I'm Gonna Share My Love With Everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment