Wednesday, June 28, 2023

MIDI Week Singles: "Easthaven in Peace" - Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition (PC)

 


"Easthaven in Peace" from Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition on Windows, OSX, Linux, iOS, Android, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One (2000 - 2019)
Composer: Jeremy Soule*
Label: Beamdog
Publisher: Beamdog
Developer: Black Isle Studios, Beamdog


It has been literal decades since I last played Icewind Dale, even before Beamdog released the Enhanced Edition back in 2014 but I do remember "Easthaven in Peace" on some level, somewhere in the deep recesses of my subconscious.  What I find interesting about this song is that it's not really fitting for Easthaven when you start out the game.  It is almost too heroic of a theme, especially at 0:22 when the melody repeats and ramps up the volume.  Had the song continued at its starting volume level and maintained that same level of subduedness for the entire song, I think that it could have been appropriate for a small fishing village in the northern wastes of Icewind Dale.  Instead, at 0:22, it sounds like a homecoming to a grand castle after a massive campaign of dungeon delving and dragon slaying.

All of that being said, I still love this song, and while it has been a long time since I last played Icewind Dale, I am a little saddened that it might be that this song only happens in Easthaven and that I may not return there again unless I restart the game.

Which I am likely not to do for a while.  Maybe.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment