Wednesday, February 7, 2024

MIDI Week Singles: "Main Theme" - OneBit Adventure (AND)

 


"Main Theme" from OneBit Adventure on Android, Windows, iOS & macOS (2019)
Composer: Jonathan Concepcion-Rodriguez
Album: OneBit Adventure
Label: Self Released
Publisher: Galactic Slice
Developer: Galactic Slice


In the game, the song doesn't loop perfectly.  When you hear the song start to repeat for that one second at 0:58, that's where the song ends in the game before it repeats back from the beginning, and there is a brief one-second repeat of the first second of the song.  I bring that up not in an attempt to shame Mr. Concepcion-Rodriguez, but only because I noticed it while listening to the music both in and out of the game.

The second thing is that when I first started playing, I thought that the section that plays between 0:22 and 0:39 played much more frequently than it does.  I think it's because the music that plays before and after is there to drive you forward since all of the action is based on the character's movements.  The enemies only move once you do.  You only attack when you move your character.  The music needs to help drive the player up the screen toward greater loot, more kills, and an ever-increasing step count.

This is a great chiptune though, and like I said in my First Impressions article, the tones used and the intentional quality of the music fit the visual aesthetics perfectly and I wouldn't change a thing about either.



~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment