Wednesday, October 16, 2024

MIDI Week Singles: "Requiem" - Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)

 


"Requiem" from Castlevania: Circle of the Moon on the Game Boy Advance, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch (2001 - 2021)
Composer: Konami Kukeiha Club
Album: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon & Castlevania: Concerto of Midnight Sun Original Soundtrack, and Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
Label: Konami Music Entertainment, Inc, and Limited Run Games
Publisher: Konami
Developer: Konami Computer Entertainment Kobe


Yes, I know that "Requiem" was first used in Castlevania: Rondo of Blood during the naming/file selection screen, but since I first heard this song in Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, that was the focus I wanted to go with.  From what I can tell, the version of "Requiem" is the same in both games, although interestingly, this was not included in Castlevania: Dracula X, the bastardized version of Rondo of Blood.

Similar to "Prayer" from Symphony of the Night, "Requiem" here uses a single phrase for the entirety of the song, "Kyrie eleison," being Greek for "Lord have mercy."  I like the idea of a Belmont, or in the case of CotM, a Morris, receiving a blessing from the church before going into battle against Dracula.  Although with "Requiem" being the title, it could just as well be for the death of the protagonist.  Either way, this was, and is in my opinion, another great way to kick off a Castlevania game.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
I'll Shake This World Off My Shoulders


P.S.  The only thing that bothers me about this song, I have my catholic church going years to thank, because after singing "Kyrie eleison" you would sing "Christe eleison."  Both phrases were also used as responses at certain times during the mass, usually after a reading from one of the books in the Bible leading up to one of the gospels being read.  It's crazy how that sticks with you, even after 20+ years.

No comments:

Post a Comment