Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Bi-Monthly Update - July/August - part 2

Hello and welcome back.  I'm just here to follow up on things I said before, in my previous update.  

Jane and I have been watching Orange is the New Black and Bob's Burgers.  Usually about one episode each on weeknights is our TV ritual.  We're actually trying to get through OITNB so that we can move on to Stranger Things, which is great by all accounts.  I've also been cruising through seasons 1 and 2 of American Horror Story, which I watch solo.  I have mixed feelings about it.  It definitely impresses and disappoints me.  I do have my preferred actors, and I really like the re-use of the cast.  

TV I'd like to check out:  Mr. Robot, Better Call Saul, Vikings and Game of Thrones.  At some point we plan to get HBO now, and catch up on all the Game of Thrones we have missed.  Having both read each of the books, we could sit back, smug in our knowledge of the story.  But now that the show has moved beyond the books... well, this last season seemed pretty interesting, and I'd like to check it out.  

We watched the new Star Trek movie, which is most definitely a new Star Trek movie.  There's a modern style of action movie that includes 15-30 minute action scenes that I find exhausting.   This make me feel like a real stick in the mud, because this modern style is pretty well ubiquitous and all I can do is sit around and whine.  I just get bored with extended action.

That remind me!  Jane and I got to see a screening of "Spirited Away" at our local classic movie theater.  It was very enjoyable, I'm really glad we went.  The movie is probably my favorite Miyazaki film, and it was fun to share that joy with Jane.  The producers of the event talked about doing an Anime festival, and asked for suggestions, so I went to their Facebook page and suggested Akira, Princess Mononoke and a few others.  Here's hoping. 

Jane and I are also working our way through Shardlight, which is the latest Adventure game by Wadjet Eye games, makers of the Blackwell Series.  Jane is more attracted to story than gameplay, so we've found that adventure games tend to be the right speed.  Shardlight is a post-apocolyptic narrative, which makes for some fun visuals and design.  

Oh yeah, we also went through a quick play of "Dr. Langskov, The Tiger, and the Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist" , which was delightful and I recommend it to anybody.  Dang, still haven't played 'the Beginner's Guide' I need a 72 hour vacation where I just play video games I've been meaning to play.   

I still collect a lot of links for games that look interesting.  I'm going to be putting together some compilations of my favorites.  While I seriously doubt I will play even a fraction of these games, I still get some joy out of the images and videos and imagining what it might be like to play them. 

The online Magazine Killscreen has been a great source of interesting looking games.  And they recently had a writing contest that Jaconian, Conklederp and I all entered.  On top of that, they're going to produce a print magazine for this coming year, and I think I'm going to have to subscribe.  That should be fun and neat.  

Well, that's all I have to say for now.  More to come,

-D 





No comments:

Post a Comment