Monday, August 1, 2016

Monthly Update: August 2016


First off, how the hell is it August already!?  I'm sure there's some word for people who talk or at least reference how the passage of time seems to creep up on them and smack them in the face with the new calendar page for the month.  But August it is, so let's talk about July first because that's the way we do things. . .here, in the Twilight Zone.

July was semi-productive.  D&D happened and is set to happen again in a few weeks (minus two people, but with a group of seven, you still have to play even if a couple are unable to make it, otherwise, we'd only play a few times a year).  Conklederp and I also played a new game with Salty Liver and WhoBear called Whitechapel, where you play an inspector hunting Jack the Ripper.  We only played through the second of the five murders, but by the end we had two corpses, Jack (WhoBear) was still on the loose, but we were pretty sure we had tracked down the general location of his hideout.  While camping, we also managed to sneak in another session of Betrayal at House on the Hill, which was won by destroying our respective Voodoo dolls (creepy little bastards).

On the video gaming front, I reinstalled Neverwinter Nights, mainly to see if it would still run after trying to install and run the first two Diablo games; Diablo couldn't be recognized as a functioning program by Windows 10, and Diablo II decided to make the game look like it had been shat out by a rainbow on acid.  But Neverwinter Nights loaded, started up and plays just fine and there will more than likely (read that however you want) be a post about it later in the month.

Conklederp and I also renovated our "Office/Retro-Gaming Room" and now it is more "Office/Reading-Room" oriented, but not through any adultiness, but rather because of complications my SNES and N64 have with in the normally functioning department.  I did move the GameCube out into the main room and is currently hooked up to our TV and it plays well enough.  Now I just need to get my copy of Eternal Darkness back from Sidmesh and go through that game in 16:9.

I have also been working again on The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and a bit more questing with Conklederp in The Elder Scrolls Online, although it seems that every so often my game will crash/freeze and I have to spend the next couple of minutes cursing, Ctrl-Alt-Del'ing out and resigning in.  Thankfully we're not in Cyrodiil (PvP area) or I might be more frustrated/irritated/annoyed/angry/purturbed/et cetera.  I also finished Doom 3 (again and this time without Vorlynx's help with the Guardian) and so I continued on with the only  DLC, Resurrection of Evil, which I may or may not talk about during this month of Augustus

TV-wise, I already talked about the Netflix series Stranger Things, which I highly recommend anyone who enjoyed The Goonies, E.T. The Extra Terrestrial, Alien, or Stephen King's novel IT.

As for articles that I have on the back burner and are likely to show up within the next month include the following:
  • I picked up a Steam Controller last month and have been tinkering around with it a bit, although I am having issues with the keyboard showing up correctly on screen when I do not have Steam's Big Picture Mode running in the background. [ARTICLE]
  • I finally completed The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard and briefly talked about the writing in that game a few weeks back, but never got around to putting out a full fledged article.
  • Continuing The Elder Scrolls, the NDA was lifted last week for the closed beta of the TGC The Elder Scrolls Legends, so I plan on writing about my limited (and continued) experience with my first real foray into the world of TGCs. [ARTICLE]
  • I picked up a couple of titles for my 3DS through the eShop, both of with are older games (1988 and 2002) and both will probably garner their own posts as one's a sports game and the other is a side scrolling platformer. [SPORTS ARTICLE]
  • I beat Mega Man 4 earlier in the month and I really feel that I need to write a post about this as I have some thoughts and feelings that need to be expressed in this fourth title on the NES. [ARTICLE]
  • Also just having beat (finally) Gunman Clive 2 on the 3DS, I may get around to writing about this game (which was great by the way). [ARTICLE]
  • An update on the status of my Etsy shop, ExorStitch. [ARTICLE]
  • A review of a number of the free games that I picked up during Steam's Summer Sale and mentioned in an article back at the beginning of July. [ARTICLE #1]
  • I've also been meaning to post my First Impressions article about The Witcher, and since I am only 13.2 hours in, in a 36 - 66 hour game, I feel that I am still in the position to post under this category.
  • I would like to post a First Impressions article for two games that I've played a bit of, Vertiginous Golf (a dystopian mini-golf game), and Rock of Ages (think Marble Madness, meets an RTS with a Monty Python skin) which are both really fun in their own rights. [Vertiginous Golf ARTICLE]
That's actually quite ambitious for me, considering that there are only eight more Mondays and Fridays left in the month and I have, what, 11 possible articles listed here.  Maybe I will condense some, or perhaps I will just forego writing one or more of theses articles all together.  Either way, that was July and here comes August.

Bugger all.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment