Friday, August 12, 2016

Update: Free Games Galore: Steam Summer Sale 2016 Edition [Part I]

Hello good people.  Today's post is an update to the "Free Games Galore Steam Summer Sale 2016 Edition" post I put up back on Friday July 8th.

ArcheBlade









ArcheBlade, looks to be an MMO of sorts, from what I was able to gather from the tutorial level.  Although for all I know, it could be a MOBA.  I am honestly not 100% sure.  And unless you actually purchase the "All Access" or individual characters, you are unable to play anything in the game except for the tutorial stage and the training area where you fight increasingly difficult bots who are armed with guns in the same enclosed arena.


I spent a total of 13 minutes playing this game and from that, I was able to determine that I would probably not spend any money on it; additionally because it doesn't look like the developers have posted any updates since 2014 (I could be wrong on that note though).  The game doesn't look bad, in that it is playable, but it does not really seem like the kind of online multiplayer game that I would be interested in playing.

Endless Sky











I really wanted to like Endless Sky, and I presume that by that statement you can assume that I did not in fact, enjoy what little time (41 minutes) I spent with this game.  To me, it almost felt like I was jumping into the middle of a game (knowledge-wise) and that I was supposed to have read through the manual in order to understand not only how to play the game, but also the understanding of the controls (beyond what I was able to find out from the control settings menu) and the how to actually progress.

Probably if I had been paying attention to my fuel reserves and known how to choose which system I was jumping to, and how to get to the planet where the "obvious learn the basics introduction quest guy" wanted to go, I might have had the Firefly experience that I was anticipating.

As it turned out, those asteroids are actually harmless, although they can be used to block enemy fire.
KekoPaLIVE
Again, I have no idea how to properly capitalize the name of . . .whatever this interactive animated music video is.  NekoPaLIVE, from what I could tell with the two songs, is just a "watch the cat-girls sing and dance."  Where they're singing and dancing is a little confusing as it simply looked like someone's living room, or it could even be the front area of a coffee shop.


This is pretty much the extent of the game, although by pressing number keys 1 - 8, you can change the camera angle, which is just varying degrees of closeness to the stage as well as the angle.  There is no up-skirt angle.  According to the Steam message boards, if you use either Vive or Oculus Rift, you are actually able to move around the room, although with there not being much to the room, I can only guess as to the reason and purpose that moving around the room would be.

Well, as it turned out, this title is in fact a VR exclusive and it works with both the Vive and Oculus Rift.  That's really all I can say since I have neither equipment.  I really love the premise though and I feel that this could turn into a series where you explore various works of art not only by Van Gogh, but by other artists as well.

Radiator 2 was definitely the highlight of these first five games that I played.  It was also the only game that I was able to play through from beginning to end. . .sort of.  Radiator 2 is made up of four short mini games that force you to actually pay attention to what you're doing on screen.  I learned my lesson the hard way during the Doom inspired title "Hurt Me Plenty" where I did not listen to the other guy I called up and accidentally hurt him too much.  14 sad faces and he won't call me back now and I have to wait 24 hours in real time before I can play the game again.  There's a real world time mechanic to "Stick Shift" too that has to be adhered too before you can play again.

Oooooooh, because gearshift is phallic shaped.  I get it now!
One thing I was definitely impressed with in Radiator 2, was the quality of the in-game models.  The textures looked great and the music was pretty catchy, all for being a collection of free games.  I would definitely recommend this game over any of the above, although keep in mind that it is not for everyone, and is pretty NSFW.

Part II of my "Free Games Galore" will probably coming later in the month or even in September as those games appear to be longer in nature (RPG's, graphic novels, et cetera) than the ones in today's post.  It will happen though.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment