Monday, February 20, 2017

Monthly Update for February

Okay, what kind of a month has this past one been?  

I can't really say.  I watch It Follows and I made a post about it.  Good movie.  Great movie!   A new Magic Set was released, and I once again submerged myself in all things MTG.  

I went to a prerelease for Aether Revolt, the new MTG set, and I played many games online and went to my first FNM (Friday Night Magic.)  I enjoy live events at Magic stores.  The game are in limited format, which is my favorite way to play magic.  I also went 2-1 and won two packs, which was fun.  

Jane and I started watching 'A Series of Unfortunate Events' on Netflix, which we just finished last night.  I have been enjoying it.  It's very stylishly put together and full of great actors.  It's actually quite frustrating and stressful for a children's story, but the great performances and production design helps to overcome that.  I am excited to see the next season.  I should note that I never read the books, so I don't have any kind of a nostalgic attachment to it.  I just realized that there is a similar stylistic choice in this show as to 'It Follows.'   I won't say which one, but you can read about it in this article.  Very clever writers and directors!  

I'm still slogging thorugh FFIX.  I came to realize, midway through disc 2, that i should just use a walkthrough.  I don't know what weird kind of pride thing I still have that I am reticent to use walkthroughs.  But it makes things much easier.  And really, I don't have time for a challenge from a 15 year old game.  Besides, if I had a Nintendo Power about the game, I wouldn't think twice about referring to their game article.  ahhhh... Nintendo Power.  That's some tasty nostaglia. I plan to write a follow-up review for FFIX,  or a game EXP, to talk about my experience of playing this 15 year old RPG.  There are some positive and negative elements, that is without a doubt.  

Anything else?   I got a new laptop.  it was inexpensive, but with a tiny Hard drive.  I had fun nerding out and installing a new Solid State Drive and some RAM.  I have only got to copy the operating system over to the new drive and switch the BIOS to boot from that drive, and then delete the old operating system.  This is the part that's holding me up, as I messed it up the first time.  

Actually, since originally writing the above paragraph, I messed up my computer really bad.  Like, busted, couldn't get it to boot up again.  This was related, somehow, to having two versions of windows installed on two different drives.  My computer got confused.  I removed the SSD and reinstalled Windows 10, and now I have  computer again.  Two weeks later.  So... basically, I'm back to the drawing board with this computer.  But even without a new hard drive, this computer is vastly superior to my previous one.  For this, I am thankful.  

-D

No comments:

Post a Comment