Thursday, August 3, 2017

MIDI Week Singles: "Peaceful Waters" - The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (PC, Xbox)


"Peaceful Waters" from The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind on the PC, and Xbox (2002)
Composer: Jeremy Soule


Apologies for the day lateness of the MIDI Week Single.  I am currently a few hours outside of MontrĂ©al in an area that can best be described as "there are lakes everywhere."  Seriously, look up "Lac Wendigo, Amhearst, QC" and zoom out.  Lakes.  Everywhere.  I am not at Lac Wendigo, just a few lakes over, but you get the idea.  So I wanted to use a song that reminded me a bit of lakes and rivers and I landed on "Peaceful Waters" from The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind by Jeremy Soule, who we have used a couple of times previously on MIDI Week Singles

What I personally love about this song, is that in me, it does instill a sense of calm and peacefulness, but that feeling only goes so far as I find that there is an undercurrent that while there is tranquility, there is also a sense that all is not right just under the surface.  However, the song never seems to deviate from the calming meter that it begins with as there is no significant change in tempo, chugging bass lines, or rumbling drums to indicate that there might be something more sinister just below the surface of the waters.  The, what I assume to be a bassoon does a great enough job to help convey that sense of possible foreboding as a contrast to the harp, flute, and oboe.  Not that I feel that there is some evil cosmic force living under le lac or a presence out in the forests that wants to capture you and set your feet a'fire, I just find this song somewhat appropriate as I look out on the peaceful waters of the lake, or perhaps taking a stroll along the beaches, all the while avoiding any mudcrabs or slaughterfish.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment