Monday, August 7, 2017

Monthly Update: August 2017


CONKLEDERP AND I GOT A SWITCH!!!  But more on that in a bit.

So July saw a lot more of the same as far as playing Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia on the 3DS goes.  I feel like I am nearing the end of the story and a little disappointed at how the story has progressed, although I still recognize that it is from a Famicom era game that was originally released in 1992.  But that is only if the game ends with how I am now expecting it to end, which I hope is not the case.  Maybe I was just hoping for a little more character development in some way that I cannot really explain.  Either way, I am still trudging through Duma Tower.  Yup.

On the PC front, I started Diablo II after not being able to get the original Diablo to run on my computer, which all started from having played Diablo III on the PS3 with Deep-V.  I read everything from changing various compatibility settings to long lists that included creating .bat files or downloading third party programs.  Presently I am working my way through Lut Gholein, recalling a bit from my first time playing through six years ago and very much enjoying every hour I sink into that game.  

Okay, let us just move onto the Switch now because that is all am able to think about while trying to type out my thoughts, but I will keep it semi-brief so as not to take away content from the First Impressions article that will be coming out either next week or the week after.  It was just over a week ago that I randomly decided to check out a Best Buy next to the Banfield (picking up prescription cat food) just to see if they had any Switches in stock.  And they did.  There were four grey Switch boxes there in the display case.  I immediately texted Conklederp and we decided that we would talk about the feasibility a $359.98 (and picking up a game too) purchase would/could be in our budget.  So after maybe 30 minutes after Conklederp came home, we headed back to the Best Buy to see if they were still in stock.  I was prepared to park in the same spot/area I had earlier in order to recreate similar situations to when I had seen them in stock earlier, but we ultimately decided to actually park next to the store.  We walked in, found the Switch display along with now six Switches, so we snagged ourselves an employee, snagged ourselves a Switch, but did not snag ourselves a game since I was fairly set on picking up Mario Kart 8 Deluxe so that both Conklederp and I could play together (Breath of the Wild is closely on the horizon). Upon coming back home, I ordered Mario Kart from Amazon which arrived roughly two days later, with the days in-between were spent playing any demo we could download from the eShop.  A few days later, we added Snipperclips to our game collection (which will probably have its own First Impressions as well in the coming weeks).  You know what?  I think I am going to end the Switch Paragraph Wall of Words now and switch topics (groooaaan).

Movies!  I don't think Conklederp and I went out to the movies in the past month but I am looking forward to seeing The Dark Tower after we get back to the states.  I have also heard from a number of people that I should see Dunkirk, which I did not really have much interest in until I saw one trailer in particular that made me think, "Huh, I may just want to see this film."  At the moment, I still kind of want to see Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets as I do love me some Luc Besson films, although I seem to always be chasing that Leon: The Professional and The Fifth Element highs.  That is about it until next month when IT comes out, then. . .Star Wars Episode VIII in December?  And Whenever Thor: Ragnarok comes out.  Perhaps I need to pay better attention.

On the board game front, it has really been all about Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition, which we always seem to play when friends come over, and I have absolutely no problem with that.  And how the hell have we not yet written an article about that game!?  I will have to take care of that either this month or in October for semi-obvious reasons.

At this point, I somewhat feel like I am rambling so I am going to head over and make myself (another) cup of coffee because yay for coffee dependency.  In short though, I expect August to be a lot of Switch playing, finishing FEE:SoV, starting another game, and starting The Handmaid's Tale as I just finished The Book of Were-Wolves.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian
My Plan Requires Time

No comments:

Post a Comment