Wednesday, September 13, 2017

MIDI Week Singles: "Above Ground BGM" - Super Mario Bros (NES)


"Above Ground BGM" from Super Mario Bros. on the Nintendo Entertainment System (1985)
Composer: Koji Kondo
Developer: Nintendo R&D 4


This 32 year old classic from Koji Kondo seems like a no-brainer at this point, although a little surprising that we had yet to feature.  Or maybe we had not thought of it because of how well known it is and wanted to focus on songs you may not have heard?  But that is not true either.

I decided to use "Above Ground BGM" today partly because I am playing through Chicken Wiggle, which has a Super Mario Maker type program, and I wanted to create an homage to World 1-1 from Super Mario Bros.  But since Chicken Wiggle does not operate as the same type of platformer than Super Mario Bros. is, I had to make a fair amount of changes to make it slightly more interesting.  So while I spent the better part of the morning working on my creation, I had this song bouncing along in my head, being as catchy as it ever was.

And because I am sure that there have been PhD dissertations written about this very piece of music, saying words and phrases much better than I am capable of in a single morning with only 10 oz of coffee pulsing through my system, I am just going to leave it here (and there) for all to enjoy.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian



P.S.  I very much promise you that I did not realize until no less than 47 seconds ago that Super Mario Bros. was in fact released 32 years ago to the day, on September 13th, 1985 in Japan.  I love happenstance.

No comments:

Post a Comment