Wednesday, December 13, 2017

MIDI Week Singles: "Administering Control" - Dead Space 2 (PS3, 360, PC)


"Administering Control" from Dead Space 2 on the PS3, Xbox 360, and PC (2011)
Composer: Jason Graves
Label: Electronic Arts
Developer: Visceral Games


I have been listening to the soundtrack from Dead Space 3 a lot recently at work, usually when the boss is out because it is not the most melodic at times and music composed around being attacked by hordes of reanimated and mutated dead probably is not best suited for an office environment.  So today, before The Boss arrived, I had on the soundtrack to Dead Space 2 instead, realizing that I have kind of written off this game as it is my least favorite of the four Dead Space games I have played.

What struck me about "Administering Control" was that while I cannot specifically pinpoint where in the game this track comes from, and honestly after a while the spastic and frantic sounds start to blend together, I had a very vivid image in my head of where I thought this track came from.  I cannot be for certain, and I apologize if I am very wrong on this, but in my head, I had the scene near the end of the second to last act in the game where you are riding on top of a drilling machine and being attacked by Necromorphs.  Basically, the game for this short portions is on rails, which I think is the only time in the game that this happens.  I also find it interesting that the end of the song is so quiet and subdued compared to the first two minutes.  It is very easy to miss if you are not paying attention.

I think that is why I decided to use this song for today, because it created this mental image of a scene in a game when the rest of the soundtrack seemed to meld together.  But do not get me wrong, the fact that Jason Graves uses a full orchestra to create a music that would not be out of place in a big budget and well received science fiction movie is pretty damn impressive in and of itself, "Administering Control" just stuck out more than some of the other songs, even if I did not have the correct scene down in my head.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment