Thursday, February 21, 2019

MIDI Week Singles: "Untitled Improvisation 2011" - The Way Remastered (NS)



"Untitled Improvisation 2011" from The Way Remastered on the Nintendo Switch (2018); The Way on PC, iOS, and Xbox One (2016)
Composer: Panu Talus
Album: The Way Original Game Soundtrack
Label: Self Released
Publisher: SONKA
Developer: Puzzling Dream


So, I should preface this article with that I have only played The Way Remastered on the Nintendo Switch, but from what I understand from SONKA's page about the Remaster, it did not seem like any of the music had been changed or updated.  So with the title of this song being "Untitled Improvisation 2011" I am not sure if it was never intended to be used in the game and later put into the Remaster, I cannot say.  I guess I could contact the composer and find out that way.

Presently, I have put about five hours into the game, and it was not until I was wandering around parts of the desert after my ship had been shot down by a bounty hunter resulting is one of the most chill counter attack levels in video game history, I was struck by the music here.  The synthesizers sounded straight out of an 80's sci-fi movie akin to Blade Runner, but again, this is when you are being attacked/hunted by a bounty hunter after your craft is shot down.  Like most of the levels in The Way, game play is a combination of platforming and puzzle solving, so the music fits perfectly with trying to understand and figure out what you are supposed to do next and where you are supposed to go.

Lastly, the whole song is not (presently?) in the game.  The only section, at least in the cliffs while trying to work my way around the bounty hunter, starts at 1:15 and then repeats once it reaches around 2:19.  I do wonder how long this particular section in the game took me so I could roughly figure out how many times I heard the song loop, if only to point out that it never seemed to get old or be repetitive, but I wanted to share the song in its entirety, so there you have it all.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment