Friday, February 1, 2019

Monthly Update: February 2019


Welcome back!

As mentioned near the end of our 2018 Year in Review article last month, Dr. Potts and I have been participating in #IndieSelect, a indie games promotion by indie developers run by Indie Gamer Chick primarily through her Twitter account.  The point of the promotion (of sorts) is to help to get the word out about independent games on various platforms to help increase the public's knowledge.  The games are given away free with the expectation that that will be the primary game you play until you either finish the game or have reached a point where you feel like you have gotten the gist of the game, although it is expected that you put in a few hours (exceptions do apply).  And most importantly, during the those hours playing the game, finding moments that you as a player find interesting and posting about it through social media channels, typically being Twitter.

I realize that most of my own articles around the end of December and first half of January primarily featured these indie games that I received and for the most part I enjoyed them.  

Also around the beginning of January, and the first Friday of each month is another event called #DiscoverIndies, which operates in a similar manner, except here the player looks for "under the radar" indie games that they believe have not gotten much publicity (so not titles like Celeste, Dead Cells, or Stardew Valley), buy them, and then post about them as you would with the #IndieSelect games.  Last month I chose the game Earthworms (of which I still need to finish) and played as far as I could without looking up a guide and I am still reluctant to do so, except that I genuinely feel lost with almost too many screens and inventory items to sort through to be able to figure it out on my own.  So today, I decided that Flood of Light would be an appropriate title; although as it goes with nearly every decision making process in my life, I am now wondering if it is not as "under the radar" as I feel like it should be.  But I will go more into that later, probably on Monday's post where I do talk about the game in greater detail.

In other games, I find myself still working through (and enjoying Darkest Dungeon, although I am hoping that I am not wasting some of the low green level quests and not building up my characters enough for when all I am given are orange level 3 quests.  Conklederp can attest to my attachment to some of my characters, and was pretty sad when my Jester Mallory died early on in an level 3 quest.  Here I was, supposed to explore 90% of the rooms, and I barely make it through four before she was killed.  I fled the dungeon after that, to the mental detriment of the rest of the party, but hey, they survived so what do they have to complain about!?  Plus, as Chreekat could probably also confirm, that this is a fairly stressful game, what with keeping track of who needs medical attention, who needs psychiatric attention, and why the stupid caretaker is taking up the one open space in the bar!

In other non video gaming related news, our group gave Fireball Island: The Curse of Vol-Kar two plays.  This is a remake by Restoration Games of a game that I played a lot of growing up, I think thanks to DellaƱos who I believe also had the game.  Both games we played we unintentionally ended up using house rules not realizing some of the finer points in the game (taking pictures, traveling through caves) but when The Kid comes up in a few weeks, we should have everything down pat, although we might still use a house rule for the Jewel of Vol-Kar, which we feel makes the jewel feel more important than simply a point value.  AND we're getting the D&D group back together on Saturday 9th for our first in person gaming session since sometime in the summer; I could look it up, but I'd rather not since I know we haven't gamed in-person for a looooooooooong time.  I have a quest/story in mind, and like always, I feel like it might be too short, but knowing how long encounters (both fighting and communicating) can take with our group, it might just be long enough.

I cannot think of much else going on in February that I am aware of, or at least that I can think of to share to the mass (masses?).



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian
I Haven't Said Enough

No comments:

Post a Comment