Tuesday, June 11, 2019

MIDI Week Singles: "Catherine's Theme" - SOMA (PC)


"Catherine's Theme" from SOMA on the PC, iOS X, Linux, PlayStation 4, & XBox One (2015)
Composer: Mikko Tarmia
Label: Self Released (Bandcamp)
Publisher: Frictional Games
Developer: Frictional Games





Since I happen to find myself currently in Sweden for the next couple of days, I thought that posting a MIDI Week Single from a game that was developed in Sweden seemed appropriate.  Yes, composer Mikko Tarmia is actually Finnish, but we will not be in Finland until Tuesday.

SOMA is a game from Swedish developer Frictional Games and despite having played through the game a couple of years ago, we apparently have not featured any of Mikko Tarmia's music from this game (although we have used music that he has written for Amnesia: The Dark Descent, also by Frictional Games).  Now, if you have not played SOMA, I would first off highly recommend it is all about powerful storytelling, but I will not spoil anything for anyone who has not yet played the game.

I decided to use "Catherine's Theme" because I thought that it does a great job of encapsulating the overall feel of the game, where as the title music puts you in a science fiction mind set.  I do love how simple "Catherine's Theme" is, which is the exact opposite of the character in the game.  I also feel an overwhelming sadness here, which again, is not exactly how the character is either portrayed or acts in the game, but it works so well.  Maybe it is all hindsight.  But I find this track to be beautiful and a perfect example of showing so much emotion with so little.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment