Wednesday, July 3, 2019

MIDI Week Singles: "Mission 02" - Top Gun: The Second Mission (NES)



"Mission 02" from Top Gun: The Second Mission on the Nintendo Entertainment System (1987)
Album: No Official Release
Developer: Konami
Publisher: Konami



I was looking through my list of songs to use, and oddly enough, this was the most patriotic song that I could find that I would listen to outside of it being July 4th tomorrow.  That and I did not feel like using the 3.47 second clip of the Star Spangled Banner from Blades of Steel.

I did play Top Gun: The Second Mission a lot as a kid, probably because I watched Top Gun a lot although I cannot remember if I bought the game for myself or received it as a gift, but that is beside the point.  The point is I never finished the game and could only make it to the second mission in the game before I finally died and then used up however many continues you were allotted.  I don't think I even ever made out of the tree dodging sequence, but I did try my darndest.

And by dardest I mean that I played Mission 2 for hours upon unverified hours, which is probably why I have fond memories of this song despite my inability to actually get through this mission.

What I do like about the song itself is how much is going on and how many sections there are to it all.  Which then is one thing that I would change.  I feel that the first 9.6847 seconds of the song should not have repeated, that it should have been just an intro and then repeated at the 9.6848 mark when the song does repeat at the 54.5 second mark.  And holy damn that guitar-esque solo is something else.

On that note, have a happy 4th of July tomorrow.  Or don't.  Either way is fine with us.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment