Thursday, September 19, 2019

MIDI Week Singles: "Agent Combat" - Mass Effect 2: Lair of the Shadow Broker (PC, XB360)



"Agent Combat" from Mass Effect 2: Lair of the Shadow Broker on the PC, and XBox 360 (2010)
Label: E.A.R.S.
Publisher: Electronic Arts
Developer: BioWare


I decided to use this song from an expansion from a game that I have only played a bit of for a couple of reasons.  The first is, that I was pretty upset with Mass Effect 2 in that I had purchased the Mass Effect 2 Digital Deluxe Edition on Steam during a long ago sale and stopped after a couple of hours of play (shortly after getting back Garrus) and learning that the Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC was no longer accessible through the Steam version of the Digital Deluxe Edition.  With all of the potential characters you could romance in the game, it also started feeling like a dating sim with a Mass Effect skin, but I have already talked about that a while back.

The larger reason is because I loved the music Christopher Lennertz composer for Gun: Showdown which I covered back in 2015.  What I love about "Agent Combat" is that it is just good combat/action music.  After the first 10 seconds, which feels like it is used to establish the threat, the rest of the song drives the action forward, which is what you want with type of music cue.  Then after 25 seconds there is a hint of melody before the drums and brass come back with around 30 seconds left in order to re-establish the threat.  The only real negative things I have to say about this song is that it only lasts 67 seconds, but I imagine that in-game the song will loop?  Maybe?  Like I said, I cannot download the DLC unless I rebuy the game through Origins (I think) or do a bit of semi-finagling in order to get everything to work.

But until then, I am just going to enjoy the music, all 12 minutes that he wrote, which are a great 12 minutes.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment