Wednesday, September 2, 2020

MIDI Week Singles: "Title Screen" - Super UNO


"Title Screen" from Super UNO on the Super Famicom (1993)
Composer: Toshiyuki Takine
Album: No Official Release
Publisher: Tomy Corporation
Developer: Tomy Corporation





You know, I never would have pegged Super UNO to have either music or good music.  So when I pulled up this game to listen to the soundtrack, I was pleasantly surprised by the title track, and I am pretty sure I know why.

If you are at all familiar with SimCity on the SNES, then whatever audio/soundbank Toshiyuki Takine was using for this, sounds a lot like what Soya Oka used when she composed the music for the 1991 release of SimCity.  It is not identical, but it is similar, at least to me it seems like it.  Coupled with the background as a metropolitan cityscape, just keeps giving me SimCity vibes.

But aside from SimCity, the music here is a lot more energetic than what I was expecting out of UNO, a game that you play with your 8-year-old sister and 74-year-old grandparents because someone lost a die to Yahtzee! last summer.  Maybe this is high stakes UNO where there is a $5,000 buy-in and you have ante-up after the turn comes back to the dealer at the table, unless a Reverse Card or Skip card is played and the dealer cannot take their turn, but then that would really only beneficial to the person sitting on either side of the dealer.  You know, give me some time to work this out and I am sure I can come up with some rules for a full game of high stakes UNO worthy of this opening theme.



~JWfW/JDub/Cooking Crack/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment