Wednesday, September 30, 2020

MIDI Week Singles: "Witches Lair" - Banjo Kazooie (N64)



"Witches Lair" from Banjo-Kazooie on the Nintendo 64 (1998) & Xbox 360 (2008)
Composer: Grant Kirkhope
Album: Banjo-Kazooie The Soundtrack
Label: Rare
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer Rare


Now, I briefly played Banjo-Kazooie when it was originally on the N64, and by briefly, I mean I rented it once and then returned it the next day (Placer TV/Video was only a one-day rental store).  It apparently did not make that big of an impression on me but I do enjoy me some Grant Kirkhope music so I gave this soundtrack a listen.

What initially stuck out to me was Gruntilda's music leading up to and around her lair, and flashbacks to elementary school.  At my school, every February (or thereabouts) our school would have a Teddy Bear Day (because one of the teachers had an affinity for teddy bears and not in a creepy way) and like something out of Little House on the Prarie meets Full House, everyone would gather in the multipurpose room with our own teddy bears that we brought from home and sing "Teddy Bear's Picnic" as well as some other bear themed activities.

So when I heard that motif in "Witches Lair" that is, more-or-less, taken straight out of "Teddy Bear's Picnic," this once slightly cheerful children's song took on a whole new meaning, or at least a much darker tone.

That is really all I have about this song, besides how the theme moves its way through different instruments as I really have no other context for what is happening in the game when this song is playing, presumably while you are in Grunty's lair.

And that laugh at the end before the loop is pure Kefka and I love it.


~JWfW/JDub/Cooking Crack/Jaconian
The Melodies of Your Temptation

No comments:

Post a Comment