Friday, October 2, 2020

Monthly Update: October 2020

 


It's October!

One of the main things I wanted to talk about today was the genre of game I found myself to be focusing on last month: free-t0-play games.

Now, I have not hidden the fact that I have (at least for me) an embarrassing number of hours in Fortnite and would say that I am only marginally better than when I started back in 2015 in that I do on occasion actively run towards gunfire, but how else am I expected to complete the daily challenge of pistol eliminations if I do not shoot some other player with my digital common pistol?  Then, on the same day in September that Vigor was released (see below), Epic Games released Rocket League as a free-to-play game and offering a similar-to-Fortnite Battle Pass to upgrade your vehicle's cosmetic options, when previously the game ran for $19.99 across most gaming platforms.  I may write an article about Rocket League even though the game has been out for five years, but that is just how we do things around here.  And lastly, Vigor, the resource gathering post-apocalyptic Norwegian battle royale game that I played the beta for back in April.  Pretty much everything that I said in my beta Review article still stands, although there have been some graphical improvements but I have experienced some loading and connectivity issues.  It is still a semi-fun game to play (if you do not get killed when you are loaded with lootz) and managing to escape an encounter as you run through the woods after jumping down a rocky embankment is still pretty thrilling.  So I am not entirely sure what it is about these free-to-play games that have really grabbed my interest over the last month when I already have a number of games that I have paid real-world money for sitting in my queue.

And then there are a number of other free-to-play games that I have yet to dabble in like the recently released as free-to-play, Rogue Company, the street racing game Asphalt 9: Legends, and then a whole host of other games like Super Kirby Clash, Dauntless, Pokémon Quest, and SMITE; there are a lot more (like a number of pinball games that give you a free table to start but you have to buy additional tables) but those are the ones I have decided to name drop, and I am going to stop because this is turning into me just listing the names of games.

The game (that I have actually purchased) that I have been playing, although not in the last two weekends, is Ring Fit Adventure.  I also have not made much of any progress on Phantasmagoria as we aim to finish the final season of LOST, and then we have also been enraptured with Lovecraft Country and I think I am okay with this being a limited-run series, in that there will not be any more episodes after this season concludes, rather than run a great show into the ground; which I realize is quite the statement to make following that we are rewatching LOST, but in all honesty, when you watch LOST without a six-month break between mid-seasons and season premieres, the story does feel a lot more cohesive and less like the everything coming out of left field.

Speaking of left-field, I decided to participate in #Inktober this year, not because I fancy myself an artist, but because I like the idea of prompts and unironically bad artists who are not two years old are vastly underrepresented online.  Over the past X years, I have found that I personally feel a lot more creative if I have something to work from be it writing D&D stories, coming up with backstories for Skyrim characters, so it makes sense that I would be drawn to Inktober.  Now if NaNoWriMo had different prompts for each day, I might be able to slide into that river too, although I have been tempted to use NaNoWriMo to write another D&D quest.  Side note: I remember in English my junior year in high school, our writing prompt was a random object and mine was a hex-nut, that we had to describe but without actually describing the object; so I could not say things like "this hexagonal nut was shiny on all sides."  I hated that assignment.

And as seems to be the theme with a lot of what happens to us in Ravenloft, I am a little afraid that we might die, or at least someone might die.  We went from one hectic battle that my character was unable to participate in as they were too far away when it started and could not reach the area in time, and almost immediately into another one that is just chalk-full of modestly-weak enemies, but there is a butt load of them.  Our resident paladin is unconscious and 2/3 dead, two of our other characters are restrained multiple times (from different sources), my sorcerer's big bad AOE spells would also end up encompassing the other PC's, and our Indiana Jones is trying to stabilize the Paladin.

Lastly, I had a coming-to-Jesus moment with Cooking Crack (which legitimately had nothing to do with the alt-right troll on Twitter), re-evaluated my life, and came out the other side as The Faceplantman, which stems from an episode 35 years ago involving my face, a neighbor's fence, and the same neighbor's cement driveway.  Dr. Potts was there at the time, or at least he is in my memory of said event.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
Because His Name Makes Me Uncomfortable

No comments:

Post a Comment