Wednesday, January 20, 2021

MIDI Week Singles: "Home, Sweet Home" - Final Fantasy V (SFam)

 

"Home, Sweet Home" from Final Fantasy V on the Super Famicom, PlayStation, Game Boy Advance, iOS, Android, and PC (1992)
Composer: Nobuo Uematsu
Album: FINAL FANTASY V ORIGINAL SOUND VERSION
Label: NTT Publisheding Co., Ltd.
Publisher: Square
Developer: Square


I decided to pull music from Final Fantasy V because when this game came up in my attempt to listen to all of the music from the SNES/SFam era (#AllTheSNESMusic), I recalled how much I seemed to have loved this game although only after the fact and I still could not recall everything that went on.

I first heard "Home, Sweet Home" off of the Final Fantasy N Generation: Official Best Selection album probably sometime around 2003-2004.  I had not played Final Fantasy V at that point so I had no context for the song aside from this beautifully arranged version (sung in English and Sami) that was originally on the Final Fantasy V: Dear Friends arranged album, and after listening to the arranged version, the sound chip on the Super Famicom does pale in comparison, at least it does for me.  However, when I did get around to playing Final Fantasy V on the Game Boy Advance port, I was probably about as elated as Bartz was when returned to his home village of Lix.  Having heard and listened to this song for a number of years and knowing that it was from the game I was playing, hearing it that first time did feel like I was returning home.  For me, it is the feeling of returning to a place that is free from the worries of the world and is full of comfort, something that is pretty common in the Final Fantasy series.  And even in the Super Famicom and Game Boy Advance versions of the song, that feeling for me still comes across.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
"This is a Place He's Familiar With"


No comments:

Post a Comment