Friday, February 5, 2021

Monthly Update: February 2021

Damn.

You know, I didn't even register that it was February until late in the afternoon on Monday.  Well, I knew it was February in that it was a new month, but not in that I hadn't written a Monthly Update article yet.  And I will probably come to a similar realization in about 24 days when we're on March 1st.

The biggest news, at least for me (and really what else matters?) was that I decided to (temporarily) drop out of our Dungeons & Dragons group that was running Curse of Strahd (the Ravenloft campaign).  This was obviously not something that I decided one day but had been thinking about for some time as Goblino was then seven months old and whose schedule was changing little-by-little.  Goblino also firmly had two teeth and was increasingly able to eat different types of solid food which meant that we were now feeding him increasingly more solid foods around 6:30 - 7:00 PM then a bottle before bed around 7:45 PM and if we were "lucky" he would be asleep by 8:00 PM and I would be able to join our group over on Roll 20.  For part of December and January, falling asleep was more difficult for Goblino, often with Conklederp and I tag-teaming to comfort Goblino to sleep, some nights until 9:30 PM.  Our DM was wonderfully accommodating and pushed the start time back to 8:00 PM a few times, but again, I did pull myself away to help with Goblino.  Oddly enough, in the last session I played, there was a power outage at our DM's house just after our group had entered a portal but before we emerged.  The DM and I decided that this would be a perfect spot for me as Lurien (the Halfling Wild Mage Sorcerer) to disappear, probably as a result of a magic surge while going through the portal.  I would love to return to our group as we had been able to play in-person for six months, then on Roll 20 for the next nine months (because none of us are selfish enough to believe that we could gather seven people from five households under one roof for three-to-four hours every other week) and this was a great D&D group.  I might try to pop in the nights they gather to play just to say "hi" on occasion and see how everyone is doing.

For other games, I did pick up a number of expansions for Elder Sign over Christmas and Conklederp and I have tried a couple of times to get a game going, but the set up took about 30 minutes and because it was an expansion with all sorts of new additions and rules, we started off slow and by 10:00 PM, both of us were already very tired.  So, we put the game on hold, which ended up being put away a couple of days later when the week started and we knew we would not be getting back to it until possibly the following week and it was taking up room on our kitchen table.  We haven't gotten back to it yet, but hopefully in the coming weeks?  

But earlier in the week, I saw an article talking about the release of Arkham Horror: Mother's Embrace which was first announced as a Mansions of Madness spin-off video game from Asmodee Digital.  What I love about the trailer is that it just looks like a 3D version of Mansions of Madness down to the spells, the look of the rooms in the mansion, the turn-based combat.  It does not look like a super up 4K 1080p 120fps game, but that is perfectly fine with me.  As long as there is some creepy cosmic horror story going on and that there are either multiple cases/scenarios to play or some level of replayability, then I will be all in when it releases on the Nintendo Switch sometime in the next month or two.  I do not see it getting physical release though, which w0uld be expected but still a bit of a disappointment; it is Asmodee Digital after all.

I have, on the other hand, been playing quite a bit of Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity on the Nintendo Switch, a game which I pre-ordered back in November and started back in the end of December.  I have been continuing to sink hours into Mario's Super Picross on the SNES Nintendo Switch Online app (Currently working on stages 7 in Wario and 8 in Mario), and Conklederp recently asked if I could start playing Kirby's Dreamland 3 since Age of Calamity is a bit too high energy right before going to bed; I might have a review up for KD3 later in the month.  I have also been playing Fortnite.  Still.  But in my defense, you have to reach Battle Tier 100 to unlock The Child/The Asset/Baby Yoda/Grogu and I was able to use my stockpile of V-Bucks earned from previous seasons (I've currently only paid for the Season 5 Battle Pass back in 2019) to purchase this season.  I think I'll step back from Fortnite for a while after this season is over, and I of course say that now unless they release a Fox Mulder or Samus Aran skin next season as part of the Battle Pass. 

I am also working through my backlog of DS and 3DS games, recently finishing Severed by DrinkBox Studios and now I am working through The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks.  I had thought about Dragon Quest IX as per my previous post about JRPGs, but the 31 hours to beat Spirit Tracks was a little more enticing than the 86.5 - 752 hours to beat Dragon Quest IX; not that I am a completionist, but I do like to do as many side quests as possible until the urge to just finish the damn game overcomes my desire to play the same game.  And I am on the third stage of Wiley's Castle (is it still Dr. Wiley?) in Mega Man 5 on my 3DS; and yes, I am using save states because there is a lot of cheap shots that the game takes and I do not have the time/patience to no-hit my way through the game; but no, I am not spamming save states, so there is still a lot of challenge involved.  Maybe next, if it is not the middle of spring/summer I will take up Spirit Camera, which I briefly started before my previous 3DS became maimed; I thought it would be a great game to play in the 100-year-old house we had recently bought.

Let's end it here for now.  That seems like a decent amount to show forth in this shortened month.  A little January, a little February with a hint of possible March. 


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
I Could Stay There For A Lifetime


P.S.  Wear a mask when inside and near people!

P.P.S. I was going to say "wear a mask when you're out in public," but I forgot my mask at home yesterday so I had to walk the 275 ft from the parking lot to inside our building without a mask, and I'm definitely not the kind of person who doesn't wear a mask.  And I definitely had the look of shame as I quickly walked to the office where I know I could grab a disposable mask and wear that for the rest of the day.

P.P.P.S. Black History started before slaves were brought to the Americas in 1619.  Celebrate Black History more than just once a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment