Wednesday, November 24, 2021

MIDI Week Singles: "Miracle!! Sukeru Toko (more starlight remix)" - Waku Waku Puyo Puyo Dungeon (SSat)

 

"Miracle!! Sukeru Toko (more starlight remix)" from Waku Waku Puyo Puyo Dungeon on the Sega Saturn (1998)
Label: Kid's Dom, Program
Publisher: Compile
Developer: Compile


I have only previously played the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo on the Switch shortly after we got the Switch, and all I really know about the franchise is that it is a puzzle-Tetris-like game.  Waku Waku Puyo Puyo Dungeon (WWPPD from here on out) is actually a top-down dungeon crawling adventure game.  That is all I was really able to find out.  I have no idea what this miracle is, or who/what Sukeru Toko is, what more or less starlight is referring to, or why this music is a catchy as it is, and why it made me dance at my desk while performing some of my daily data entry duties.

That is really one of the things that I look for with video game music, especially when it is music from a game or franchise that I am unfamiliar with.  If I start paying attention to the music, or if I catch myself bobbing my knees like a 40-year-old white dad at a wedding, I will note the song then come back to it and upon relistening, if I have a similar reaction, that song is getting featured.  This is exactly what happened with "Miracle!! Sukeru Toko (starlight remix)"  Again, I have zero context for this song, where it appears in the game or why, but I'll be snookered if I did not enjoy listening to it a few times before and while writing today's article.

It may not have the same reaction to you, and I do not expect all our featured songs too, but I am going to listen to it again, just because I am sure that no one is going to be walking by my office in the next three minutes.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian

*P.S. I bring this up in the footnote because I could not find a soundtrack specifically for the Sega Saturn release, but there was one for the 1999 PlayStation release that used that title too instead of the original Saturn release.  The music from the PlayStation release sounded a little different, but I did not find that track until after I had nearly completed this article, and I wanted to feature the song that interested me in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment