Wednesday, April 27, 2022

MIDI Week Singles: "Otherworld" - Final Fantasy X (NS)

 

Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster on the PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 4, Windows, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One (2001 & 2013-2019)
Composer: Nobuo Uematsu
Label: DigiCube
Publisher: Square Enix


Y'all knew this song would crop up as a MIDI Week Single eventually.  It's video game music, it's music composed by Nobuo Uematsu, it's a metal song with metalcore-esque singing.  I only just started playing Final Fantasy X on Sunday so I had the pleasure of hearing this song in the context of the first Blitzball game where you watch the Zanarkand Abes give up a goal and then as Sin rises up out of the ocean and destroys the city all in the middle of Tidus' impressive kick.  How rude.  But it is pretty metal.

When I first listened to this soundtrack back in 2003-2003, before I ever played the game, I was pretty surprised that this was not only in a Final Fantasy game, but also composed by Nobuo Uematsu; this was before The Black Mages released their self-titled arranged metal album so I was not expecting something like this at all.  I would not say that I wrote off Nobuo Uematsu's composing skills, but a metal-core-esque song was not something I thought would come out of Final Fantasy X, especially with what I had already seen of the game (which was not a lot, but mostly serene tropical scenery).  So aside from being genuinely surprised by this song, I do really like it, even if the singer (Bill Muir) apparently screeches about straightedge in the original recording; I've never heard it, but that's what the Internet tells me, so it must be true.

And as Goblino says, "ROCK!"


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian


No comments:

Post a Comment