Wednesday, December 28, 2022

MIDI Week Singles: "Winter (The Wind Can Be Still)" - Stardew Valley (NS)

 


"Winter (The Wind Can Be Still) from Stardew Valley on Windows, macOS, Linux, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation Vita, iOS, & Android (2016 - 2019)
Label: Bandcamp
Publisher: ConcernedApe
Developer: ConcernedApe


While I have played Stardew Valley a bit, I never made it through the calendar year to reach the winter months to actually hear this song, but I did watch Conklederp play her character quite a bit and I feel like I can hear the chipping away and rocks, and the collecting of gems while this song plays.

What I think is interesting about this song, is that I get both Vangelis' Blade Runner vibes (albeit less aggressive), along with Tangerine Dream's synth-heavy score from Legend (less Prince of Darkness and more sticking it to the evil corporation with a prize-winning bushel of eggplant), neither of which are particularly wintery movies (although the land does become frozen over after the Goblins capture the Unicorn), but they were both composed in the '80s and something about this song reminds me of that time.  Maybe it is how Conklederp approached Stardew Valley without any spreadsheets or digital farmer's almanacs to calculate which season produces the highest yield of Hops or Poppies, that just makes me want to hang out under a warm quilt with a mug of mulled wine while it's snowing outside watching her tend to her digital farm while digital snow falls.  

Maybe it is all reaching a bit, but that is what this song makes me think about at least.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian


No comments:

Post a Comment