Friday, December 2, 2022

Monthly Update: December, 2022

 

You know, if people could stop killing other people for living their own lives and not infringing on the rights of others while they enjoy an evening out with friends, that would be great.  Looking at you bigots of Colorado Springs.  And if people could stop murdering entire families so that they could continue a catfishing grooming scheme to sexually assault a minor, that would be great too.  Looking at you Sheriffs of Washington County, Virginia.


Say it with me now.  "Work on your transitions!"

WILLOW!  I have not actually watched the first two episodes at the time of this writing, but I would be surprised if I did not write something for next Monday (the 5th) about my first impressions of the series.  I am a little anxious about it, only because I do not want to be disappointed and I do not want it to end up being a show that only I want to watch and will have to find time on my own to watch it, because that will likely be the death knell of this series.  Mutually entertaining shows are the best, really.

November, I think I can break down my video game playing to six games (I actually started this section out with three games, but after several edits, it has ballooned to six):

Let us "briefly" break this down though.

I actually started Bayonetta 3 back at the end of October and I had planned to pull back from Dark Souls II and focus solely on Bayonetta because it's not often I pre-order a game, but then I received a copy of This Way Madness Lies, and that became my playing and writing life for about two weeks.  I then briefly jumped back into Bayonetta 3 and realized how much that game drains the battery power on the Switch, as in I can play for less than an hour-and-a-half and it will eat up around 50% of the battery power, even when the screen brightness is not turned up to 100%.  I also discovered that when the Switch is in Sleep mode, if it is not plugged in, it will drain, maybe 10% every 24 hours.  There is just something dissuading about picking up the Switch, seeing the battery power at 42% and knowing that I would only be able to play for about 45 minutes before it starts beeping at me that the battery power is at 10 and 5%.  And since I typically play in handheld mode and use the Meta Quest 2 charging cable for my phone, the Switch, and the MQ2, I often do not think about plugging the Switch back in after I unplug my phone first thing in the morning.  Yeah, yeah, I know.  I should have dedicated USB C plugs for each device and why the hell am I not just plugging the Switch back into the dock, and let me tell you it is because I do not want to walk down and back up two flights of stairs.  Yeah, uphill in the snow, both ways.

On the 3DS, I have been mostly playing Dragon Quest IX and am in full-on JRPG mode.  When I get to a new town, I hit the armor and weapon shops to buy what I can and then just grind away, leveling up and getting more of that sweet-sweet GP to buy everything else in the shops.  Usually, by the time I have bought everything that is better than what my characters are currently wearing, I have raised several levels and feel ready to head into that area's dungeon to fight the boss.  So far, I have only had to seek out online assistance to figure out where I need to go next because the game is not always clear about where that should be and there have not been many instances where you actually see the whole world map and where you are on it to get your bearings as to where you have been and where you could go next.  I also had to look up where the train is essentially parked after gathering just over half a dozen Fyggs.  But this is a lot of what I want when I think of a JRPG, although I know that there are a lot of online and StreetPass elements that I am not able to engage with that I had heard a lot of good things about when this game first came out, for the most part, this game is scratching hard on the JRPG itch

Speaking of JRPGs, on the Steam Deck, as previously mentioned, I spent some time playing and writing about This Way Madness Comes, which was a hilarious blast to play in the just over 12 hours it took me to beat the game.  And of course, there is Dark Souls II.  I recently finished off the last of the four Old Ones and am plodding my way through Drangleic Castle.  To date, I think I have died upwards of 230+ times, but I am still having a blast with whatever quality-type build I have been playing with.  I did play a bit into one of the DLC areas, but I do not feel as compelled to travel down to the bottom of Brume Tower, but at least I can just warp to that bonfire and attempt the trudge down again if Drangleic Castle starts getting to me too much.

In my off-playing sessions, when I need a break from souls, I can just drive a big ol' Semi through the highways and freeways of condensed Oregon in American Truck Simulator.  It is kind of what I like about driving games like The Crew, without the stress of having to race other cars.  Just give me some open roads based somewhat off of real-life locations that I know somewhat, and I am happy.  And any time I tip over that luscious cargo, I will just reload my save file from before I started that new job and chalk it up to having a prophetic dream about taking that curve on I-84 right after passing through La Grande too fast in the rain.

With all of the recent talk about God of War: Ragnarok, I picked up my PSP that was in our basement and strolled back into God of War: Ghost of Sparta, because these games are all the same right?  Kratos everyone in a historical setting with big'ol-honking weapons.  Granted this is a solo mission so he is not saying "BOY!" 2.3 times per hour, and I think he is looking for his missing and maybe murderous brother who is somewhere near/around/just left Sparta; at least it will be less frequent than how much people clapped/cheered during The Two Towers at Trilogy Tuesday; yes I still carry an annoyance about that audience.  Since it had been just over a literal year since I last played the game, I think it is safe to say that the story did not grab me like Chains of Olympus did, but just mentioned another handheld gaming device that I am playing.

So happy December everyone.  If you are celebrating any particular Holy Day(s) this month, then I hope you all have fun celebrating with family and/or chosen family.  If this is a particularly difficult month for you, know that there are people you can talk to, myself among them.  Unless you are a socially conservative bigot who believes that your rights are being infringed upon simply by someone else existing.  You should have no one and you should feel bad.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment