Friday, February 3, 2023

Monthly Update: February, 2023 (Part II)

 

I decided to split the Monthly Update article into two parts because of the way I ended Part 1, I could not think of a good way to transition to talking about video games.  So I thought the best way to do that would be to split the article up into two parts.  This was not to keep my thoughts about all of the ways that socially conservative asshats are doing harm to society in the name of religious freedoms that are not being infringed upon (you're not being oppressed, you're just an asshole).  So here we go.

Gaming-wise, I have been all over the place.  

On the Wii U, I have gotten back into Fire Emblem (The Blazing Blade) Game Boy Advance port on the Virtual Console.  I had stopped a while back because I was anxious about starting what I thought was the final battle in Eliwood's Chapter.  I actually don't know if there is another main character that the story will follow after Eliwood because now it feels like I am entering the end-end game, unlike Lyn's chapter which leads to the one-year time jump to start Eliwood's story.  I also started The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap also on the Wii U's Virtual Console as it is the next game in the chronological timeline for the Legend of Zelda series and I never played it the first time around in 2004.  I have only just started the game so I am not quite ready to write anything about it.

On the 3DS, since I finished Dragon Quest IX (read all about it here), I moved on to an unlikely game, Poochy & Yoshi's Wooly World.  Recently The Squire has gotten into the Super Mario Bros. franchise through trailers for Yoshi's Crafted World and the demo for the aforementioned 3DS game.  After playing the demo nearly 15 times and running out of the limited number of times I could play the game before it became unplayable (and honestly, playing the same two levels was getting a little old), I purchased the physical game.  I know it has been lauded as a too-easy game with little challenge, but honestly, that is kind of what I am looking for with The Squire watching on.  Plus there are short 30-second stop-motion animated movies that you can unlock every day (for 31 days) and The Squire is perfectly happy watching those a handful of times.  I also picked up Metroid: Samus Returns because after Metroid Dread, I felt like playing another Metroid game before whenever the next Metroid game gets released.

On the Switch, I have been going between three games.  I am still working through Bayonetta 3 and I am a little sad that I have not been as engaged with this game as I had hoped to be.  There is a lot that I love about the game like the music, and the variety in gameplay styles and genres, although the length of some levels taking me upwards of an hour is the biggest hurdle for me completing it last month.  I also picked up Onion Assault, the newest game from Horberg Productions (Gunman Clive 1 & 2, Mechstermination Force, Super Punch Patrol), and have been playing that over Bayonetta 3GoldenEye 007 for the N64 Online App was also released and after a fair amount of tinkering with the systems control settings, I have managed to find a combination of settings that feel good.  Oddly, even my usual 1.2 Solitaire settings felt strange with the C Directional buttons mapped to the right Joy-Con joystick, but I think part of it was that the trigger/fire button was mapped by default to ZL, which kind of makes sense, except the positioning of where ZL is in relation to the rest of the controller compared to the N64 controller mentally threw me off.  But anyway, it is playable although I do not know if I will be able to get back to the level of play I was at when I beat Aztec on 00 Agent.

On the Steam Deck, I have really only been playing American Truck Simulator although I have Alan Wake's American Nightmare briefly started, but I wanted to have my articles written for the main game and the DLC up before I jumped into a new title in the same series.  There are several other games I have lined up that I want to play though (hello Steam queue), but I think coming off of Alan Wake, I would like to continue that series/story while it is still fresh in my mind.  Then, after about 8.5 hours, I will get back to Dark Souls III, if only so that I can play enough to write a First Impressions article to talk about how wonky the combat and animation feel in that game compared to Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin and how much it reminds me of the combat in The Witcher III.  There, I said it.

And yeah, I still have God of War: Ghost of Sparta on the PSP that I will eventually get back to if only to say that I finished it.

So that is me leaving January behind and looking ahead into February (cue the freeze frame and cheesy 90s music from the Lifetime channels' library of slice-of-life movies of the week).

On the other media front, Conklederp and I finished the Willow series on Disney+ which I have several thoughts about but came away hoping that Kasdan is able to complete the next two chapters hinted at after/during the credits sequence.  We also started and finished 1899 on Netflix and accidentally found out who the Prince was in Dark (a previous series by the same creators) while watching a making-of documentary for 1899.  Conklederp has also been watching (and me tangentially as well) Ghost over on Paramount's streaming service.  And I am just now realizing that we have not been keeping up with the second season of The Bad Batch, and I think we will be getting into The Last of Us on HBO, which I have been torn about because it is a game that I would like to play, but has not yet been released on non-PlayStation platforms yet (March 3rd).

And also 






~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment