Wednesday, July 19, 2023

MIDI Week Singles: "Main Theme" - Ninja Gaiden (SGG)

 

"Main Theme" from Ninja Gaiden on the SEGA Game Gear (1991)
Composer: Kenji Yamazaki
Album: No Official Release
Publisher: SEGA
Developer: Japan System House

I was highly considering starting something a little different with this MIDI Week Single.  I thought about not listing any of the information about the song title or the game and do a "guess what game and/or genre this song is from?"  But then I remembered that this is just an article online and even if I listed the above information in a following article or just at the bottom, it will be available and the reveal would only be for the person reading.  So instead I decided to just do this article like we have previously done here and just introduce this strange piece of ninja-related music as the main theme from Ninja Gaiden released on the SEGA Game Gear in 1991.

This music plays during the opening title cards for the game, the title card for the first stage, and then during the end credits.  The first six seconds sound like it could be from a Ninja Gaiden game, thinking about the music from the NES versions of Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden II.  There is a hint of mystery and intrigue in those first six seconds, but that is all that can be conveyed in five seconds.  The rest of the song takes a haaaaard left turn into the realm of Mega Man*, which is not a dig at either the music from the Mega Man series or this song, just that I do not get Ninja Gaiden at all from the remaining 26 seconds of music before it repeats back to 0:06; the whole song does end up repeating from the very beginning at 0:45.

This is a catchy song, I like it.  I even like the fake that Kenji Yamazaki did in those first six seconds, but I have a hard time watching the Game Gear version of Ninja Gaiden with this music playing and finding some coherence happening between the two.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian


*P.S.  I kid you not when I tell you that I did not know that Kenji Yamazaki wrote the music to Mega Man 2, released on the Game Boy in December 1991, just a month after Ninja Gaiden was released on the Game Gear.  I only just found that out while pulling the links for the article.

No comments:

Post a Comment