Monday, July 3, 2023

Monthly Update: July, 2023


I have now been playing five games for the entirety of June, not including theHunter: Call of the Wild.  Well, that is not entirely true.  There are the games I play and then there are games that I play with The Squire, although there is a little bit of overlap.  Break out the lists!

Games I am playing:

Games I play with The Squire:

Peggle Extreme is "New Horse Game" because I played the original Peggle with The Squire thinking that it would be an easy game for him to track me playing and there was not anything overly complicated about the mechanics.  Plus the various animal mascots in each world were nice.  So Peggle became "Old Horse Game" but then Peggle Nights became "New Horse Game" for a while, until Peggle Extreme came onto the scene (when I couldn't beat the Challenge levels in either of the first two Peggle games) and then those first two games morphed into "Old Horse Game."  Plus "New Horse Game" (aka Peggle Extreme) has "the funny looking sun and the logos covered in "mud."  "He's happy?"  Peggle Extreme uses various Valve properties for their stages, using sound effects and vocal quibs from GMan, Heavy, and GlaDOS and I felt that Portal 2 would be the best way for The Squire to experience GlaDOS and for me to not be stressed by being shot at every-other second (in the case of Half-Life and Team Fortress 2).

The Squire has also recently gotten into watching me play parts of Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition, but he primarily likes the dungeon delving and combat, which there is thankfully a lot of in this game.  I think he also likes my reactions when I turn the corner in a crypt and find myself faced with a horde of skeletons and sprinting ghasts.  He was also very amused when I walked into a cave and found four giant beetles.  He will also ask to see the mouse, being a mouse that scurries across the floor of the inn during the resting animations.  At first he liked to ask the names of each of the PCs, but has since memorized all of the fictional made-up names I've given my band of misfits.  He also likes repeating the things the characters say when you click on them, which thankfully so far is all PG rated.  I will introduce him to Minsc when I get around to replaying Baldur's Gate (when I get there after reading another 15 books in the Forgotten Realms campaign setting that get me through the Time of Troubles, which is when Bhal goes on his campaign of procreation to save himself from being killed off to herald his return.  So sayeth the wise Alaundo.)

Recently though, The Squire has sat on my lap while I play Tears of the Kingdom, which he calls "Link Game" but that usually only lasts a couple of minutes because watching Link the way I play him running around Hyrule and exploring caves is far less interesting than the idea of "Link Game."

Celeste, I have already briefly talked about and I mentioned a little bit last Wednesday about restarting Icewind Dale.  I do not think I have talked much at all about playing Poochy & Yoshi's Wooly World on the 3DS, although I have been trying to find a happy medium for my First Impressions article, which at this point is likely to turn into a Game EXP article in a month or so.  I did try to show that game to The Squire, being the main reason why I purchased it, but his fingers get really happy when there is a touchscreen, and having him tap on the bottom screen while I try to play a platformer on the top screen can be a little challenging, so I have been playing that game during my breaks at work.  I also briefly mentioned starting Signalis over on the Twitterz and I really should jump back into that because I do love me some abstract survival horror.  I think I just hit a wall where I could not figure out what to do next and then a couple of the enemies I had previously killed came back to life (or were reanimated in some way) and I was dreading having to run away from them all over again.  You know, surviving in a horror game.

I do not know if I will be buying anything during Steam/GOG/Fanatical/Green Man Gaming's Summer Sales because unless there is a game that I absolutely need to play right at this moment, there is no reason to buy a game, even if it is 90% off for the next week.  It is all very likely that the game will go on sale again during a future seasonal sale.  Although I did buy the soundtrack to Celeste, which is what I am listening to right now, so stay tuned for Wednesday. 


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
Instrumental



No comments:

Post a Comment