Monday, August 14, 2023

One Mechanic All Rhythm Game Should Have

[Yeah, I know that that is a bit of a clickbait title only half worthy of sites like Game Rant, but that was what my brain came up with when it wasn't boiling in my skull pan, so that is what we decided to go with.]

I like Beat Saber, although I do not know if I would say that I am a Beat Saberer. . . Beater Saber . . . I don't know what people are called who are stupid-good at Beat Saber, but I am not one of those.  I would say that I am comfortably decent, able to do most songs in Hard mode and a handful in Expert.  This is all on the Quest 2 with the standard grip so maybe I could improve my performance if I changed my grip.  Or just played more.  The other rhythm game I play in VR is Ragnarock, which I have talked about here and there.

My issue with both of these games has nothing to do with the gameplay itself but with the settings and the way that you select the music that you play and listen to.  In both games, you can choose which song you want to play and then select the difficulty, which is often reflected in the number of beats per second.  When you are finished with that song, you choose another song with the keyword being "you."  This often leads me to only playing a few of the songs I already really like and not looking at any of the other dozens of available songs.  In multiplayer matches, each player selects which song they want to play and then the computer selects which song everyone will play, but that is even limited in Beat Saber to the songs your account specifically has access to, otherwise, you can only observe and not participate; which becomes increasingly likely as more and more artist/label packs are released.  Ragnarock thankfully does not have this issue as you can play any song anyone chooses that the game randomly selects even if you have not purchased one of the DLC packs.    Ragnarock will also randomly choose a song for you if a song is not selected by anyone, even when no one else is playing with you in multiplayer.  This is the closest you can get to randomized play, assuming that other people are also logged in and playing with you.

But what both games need, and really all rhythm music games if they do not already have implemented, is randomized play.  In the case of Beat Saber and Ragnarock, you could select what difficulty you want the game to pull from, be it from a range or a specific difficulty, then you click "Play" or whatever the equivalent is and play.  When the song is over, you can select either to play the next randomly selected song or to exit back to the main menu.  Sure there could be additional settings like choosing from a specific album, selecting a group of albums from the start, or altering the difficulty setting after playing a song, but I was just trying to think of the barebones version that could be implemented the easiest; as if I know what I am talking about when it comes to VR games development and UI.

The point of all of this is, is that I want a "Random" button so that I can play a rhythm game solo (without having to depend on multiplayer) with a randomized track listing so that I can play songs that I either am not as familiar with or songs that I am just too afraid to pick on my own because of their respective difficulty.  Or because I do not like them.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment