Wednesday, July 3, 2024

MIDI Week Singles: "Beginner Mode - White Moon (Winning)" - Game Boy Wars 3 (DMG)

 


"Beginner Mode - White Moon (Winning)" from Game Boy Wars 3 on the Game Boy Color (2001)
Album: No Official Release
Publisher: Hudson Soft
Developer: Hudson Soft


I haven't played any of the games in the Game Boy Wars series, but from what I have seen, it appears to be similar to other Conflict-type war games.  Maybe a little more dynamic in the music department as it seems that different background tracks play based on whatever in-game metric there is to determine if you are in fact winning or not.  What I like about this song is that despite the snare drum-esque percussion line, there isn't a whole lot here that makes me immediately conjure images of a military campaign.  Yes, it's cheery and bouncy and does bring up a feeling that things are going well, but this could fit just as well in another non-aggressive setting.

The B-section I find really interesting in that I'm not actually as interested as I am during the rest of the song.  This part sounds like it could be from a Kirby or Bubble Bobble game, something with verticality.  And I don't know why I feel that way either.  But that section only lasts about 15 seconds before we return to the main theme.


~JWfW/JDub/The Faceplantman/Jaconian
Ever Lay There Half Asleep All Hours of the Night

No comments:

Post a Comment