Saturday, June 11, 2016

Mid-Month Update - June

Hi there,   How are you?  Here's how I've been,

I haven't written any blog posts for a while.  I guess I've just been busy, and distracted.  My usual excuses, I know.  I have lots and lots of notes about interesting things that could go in a blog post, but they usually stay that way: as notes.  Primarily, I've been mired in routine, which doesn't tend to leave a lot of time for creative work.  It's the 8-5 grind, grinding me down.  Sounds depressing, I know.  

Work has been especially nuts for the last couple weeks, and it is only getting more stressful.  There's a period from June to August every year that is a rough, stressful time for my position, and this is the first time I've been through it.  Add to that that my boss got a new job and left the office, and I've got new, unfamiliar and urgent responsibilities that I have to tend to every day.  All this is a roundabout way of saying that work really saps the life out of me.

Additionally, I haven't been turning to video games as a release.  Really, it's just TV and Magic: The Gathering.  I didn't want to turn my contributions so heavily toward Magic, but I think I just have to.  So, look forward to more ramblings on MTG.  I've really loved the new set:  Shadows over Innistrad.  It's my favorite set so far, and I've gone much deeper into this one.  The flavor is great-- it's gothic/horror/detective.  There are werewolves, vampires, crazed angels, religious zealots, detectives, mad scientists and creatures from the black lagoon.  Additionally, the mechanics of the set are fun, and I've invested a lot of time (and money) into learning and playing this set.   

That's about it as far as entertainment goes.  What's truly pressing is that I'm moving!  Like.. today!  Jane is in the shower, so I thought I'd crank out this post.  After this, we're getting our keys, and then moving!  It's a big step, moving in together.  I'm very excited.  Maybe in shaking things up, I will slot in more time for writing.  I need to check back on my new years pledge and see how I'm doing.  Year's about half over.  *gulp*

-D

P.S.  I love love love the new summer-time Ultima: Exodus background!  Love it!

2 comments:

  1. Shadow Over Innistrad sounds a lot like an obvious reference to Shadow Over Innsmouth, coupled with the part about detectives, zealots, and gothic horror. If I wasn't continually intimidated by other Magic players (or at least my mental idea of intimidating Magic players) I might be interested in finally learning how to play instead of just admiring the art and the little lore-one-liners on the cards. Or, time to check out the MTG games on Steam/GOG (during their sales obviously) and see if any have incorporated this SOI line of cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that the complete package of magic - gameplay, art and lore - is more appealing to me now than it has ever been before. Given that Wizards of the Coast has gotten seriously into roleplaying games with the purchase of D&D, that gives me hope that good things will continue to come out of them, in terms of storytelling in fantasy, and not just in gameplay.

    Little tidbit: the next set is called 'Eldrich Moon' and it's like a sequel to the current sets. All sets take place in a rotating block of worlds, and Eldrich Moon will complete the block for Innistrad.

    There's a popular theory that the 'Eldrich Moon' is goinng to be Emrakul, the largest of the Eldrazi Titans who was left out of the previous set. The Eldrazi Titans being tentacle monsters from the great beyond. I think that would be pretty cool, because the idea that hte presence of Emrakul might drive the Angels mad is veyr lovecraftian. We'll just have ot wait and see. Typing this gets me excited about the lore, so I think I"ll do a post about it.

    ReplyDelete