Wednesday, August 31, 2016

MIDI Week Singles: "Carmeaty Burana (Ch 6 Boss)" - Super Meat Boy (PC)


"Carmeaty Burana (Ch 6 Boss) from Super Meat Boy on pretty much every platform (2010).
Composer: Danny Baranowsky
Developer: Team Meat


First off, I love that the title of this track is a play on Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana," which I will admit that aside from the "O Fortuna" overture, I had not listened to anything else before writing today's article.  I was wondering if the title was simply an alteration of the title of Carl Orff's "scenic cantata" or if composer Danny Baranowsky's "Carmeaty Burana" contained some musical elements or themes from Orff's own composition.  Well, I can tell you for sure, that I am not qualified to say that that is the case or not here.

But what I can tell you, is that not having gotten to the chapter six boss in Super Meat Boy (Hel, I haven't even gotten to the chapter two boss, and not for lack of trying either), is that this song is damn exciting and exhibits similar feelings of non-nostalgia awesomeness that last weeks "Everdawn Basin" from Dust: An Elysian Tale cooked up.

I feel that that is all I can say about this song.  That it's a fun song that exhibits a feeling of excitement and impending death (times 35) and also doesn't rely on the nostalgia factor that some other songs may rely on, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but is a very frequent occurrence when it comes to video game music and those who like it and why.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment