Thursday, February 15, 2018

MIDI Week Singles: "Over the Seas and Far Away" - The Elder Scrolls Online (PC)


"Over the Seas and Far Away" from The Elder Scrolls Online on the PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4 (2014)
Composer: Malukah
Album: No Official Album Release


For the last three days I have had this song bobbing around inside my head so I thought it appropriate to share with you all with the hope that you find it just as infectious.

I guess I could have used the male bard version of this song  since we have used Malukah's songs before on MIDI Week Singles, but I am not 100% sure if the singer is Liam O'Brian (whom some a person on the Internet feel did the male bard voice), or if it is Crispin Freeman who is also a voice actor prominent in video games and is credited on the Elder Scrolls Wikia as the source.  But I know for sure that Malukah is the singer here so whynot go with a sure thing?  And why not also feature (again) the one who wrote the music and the lyrics too?

One interesting thing I noticed about the lyrics while writing is the implied dichotomy that in the first stanza, the song chastises the serfs who work the land for their lord and the soldiers who are forced into military service.  Then in the very next stanza is the line ". . .the lord's command and we obey" which means that they too are forced to follow orders of those above them.  I also like that the title of the song could also have two meanings.  One, that the sailors of the Aldmeri Dominion cherish the freedom that being out in the open sea provides them, and two, that they are forever sailing further away from their homeland and the ones they love.  I do not know, maybe I am just reading too much into something that is not there.

Either way, hopefully this song sticks in your head for the next three days too.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment