Thursday, June 15, 2017

MIDI Week Singles: "Wilderness" - Golden Axe (GEN)


"Wilderness" from Golden Axe on the SEGA Genesis (1989)
Composer: [See Below]
Developer: Sega AM1


First off, apologies (of sorts) for not having/knowing who the composer of this music, let alone the score from Golden Axe.  Apparently there is some question as to who wrote the score, with You Takada being one credited in a compilation of SEGA music.  Although this CD set, has Nankyoku, Decky, and Imocky credited for sound, which in a lot of early 80s era video games was also the person who wrote the music.

Something else that did not dawn on me until just now, is that this is the first SEGA Genesis game that we have covered here on MIDI Week Singles, which is probably due to the fact that both Dr. Potts and myself grew up fiercely in the Nintendo Camp during The War.  And most likely because of this, I did not recognize any of the composers listed in either of the two albums mentioned above which makes me wonder how many composers, if any crossed over between consoles?  I guess I have some homework to do.

That being now said, "Wilderness" is my favorite track from the first game in the Golden Axe series, probably because it is the music from the first stage which is the stage that I have most frequently played.  And while listening to this, I would be very surprised if there was not already a metal cover of this song as that baseline is pretty great throughout the entirety of the song, especially around the 1:25 mark.

Basicaly, I just think this is a great track for a hack-and-slash type game.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment