Wednesday, October 4, 2017

MIDI Week Singles: "Bats" - Conker: Live & Reloaded (XB)


"Bats" from Conker: Live & Reloaded on the Xbox (2005)
Composer: Robin Beanland
Developer: Rare


This, being the first MIDI Week Singles article for October, I wanted to go the similar route as in previous years and try to pull songs either from horror games, or songs that evoked some sense of horror or general scariness.  Having only played Conker's Bad Fur Day on the N64 back in 2001, I will say that the event that this music is from is neither scary, nor would I classify it as horror either.  It is mainly a parody of Bram Stoker's Dracula to some extent, and an anthropomorphized squirrel who has been turned into a bad who must collect other anthropomorphized squirrel villagers and drop them into a giant meat grinder which ends up over feeding Squirrel Dracula (a la Count Batula).  

So does this fit my self-imposed criteria?  It might, but the point is, "Bats" is one of my favorite cues that Robin Beanland wrote for Conker's Bad Fur Day and was brilliantly improved upon in the 2005 Xbox release of Conker: Live & Reloaded, which I admittedly have never played.  When C:L&R was released in 2005, I was quick to pick up the soundtrack as I missed picking it up when it was released/offered when CBFD was originally released.  And like in-game, of which I replayed that stage a few times just to listen to the music, "Bats" is one of my favorite tracks from that album.  



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment