Wednesday, April 25, 2018

MIDI Week Singles: "Alone in the Light" - RiME (NS)


"Alone in the Light" from RiME on the Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC (2017)
Lablel: Grey Box
Developer: Tequila Works


My original plan was to use another song today, but I recently acquired the soundtrack when I bought RiME for the Switch and upon listening to half of the album the other night, I knew that I would need to feature one of  Mr. David García Díaz's compositions.  

The interesting thing about using this music, is that I haven't even given myself a chance to play the game yet and I am already attached to the music.  I do not know the meaning behind the title and it is obscure enough to hint enough to be an appropriate title for the song.  Had the song been nothing but the intro piano, I might have still used it.  And even with the accompanying instruments, it is still a very pretty song.  But then at 28 seconds when the ahhing vocals come in. . . I am sold. And it is not as if the choir is there for the rest of the song, but they come in to accentuate the melody as it evolves over the course of the song.  

What I actually think really sells me the song is the whistle/flute at 1:11.  Maybe it was the flute used in "Time Scar" from Chrono Cross, but something about this type of whistle/flute seems perfect for the setting of the game.  It might even hearken back a bit farther to The Chieftain's music from Treasure Island, which heavily features, I think, Paddy Moloney on the tin whistle (and boy do I love me some tin whistle!  Seriously, it's a great, underappreciated instrument).

Ah jeez, I don't know. I just really like this song, as well as much of the soundtrack that I have listened to, and hope that y'all out there enjoy it too.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment