Thursday, May 3, 2018

MIDI Week Singles: "City of Phlan" - Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Pool of Radiance (NES)


"City of Phlan" from Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Pool of Radiance on the Nintendo Entertainment System (1988)
Composer: Seiji Toda
Album: No Official Release


I came upon this track from AD&D: Pool of Radiance while listening through various soundtracks to NES games that I have never played.  After 13 previous games, this was the first song that really perked up my ears.  So far, this is the only song that has really stuck in my head, which I am sure means something.  What I really love is how jovial the song, considering that this is the music for the city of New Phlan, of which the surrounding area is mostly in ruins due to the evil influence from an outside source.  

This song definitely does not convey, the ruins of a city, but perhaps a city that is trying to get on with their lives despite everything that has happened to them?  Don't get me wrong though, I think that this song is perfect for a town theme and in-game it works (considering it is the starting area after you create your characters), it just may not convey the atmosphere of a city in need of adventuring heroes.

The main point though is, this is a catchy song that stuck out to me and is now firmly rooted in my music hole of a brain.  Well played Toda, well played.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian
Instrumental

No comments:

Post a Comment